1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for CD player around £200

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Daneel, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    My Wharfedale 750S that I've been using for CD playback is dying. It can't seem to find the start of the next track when the previous one finishes. I can get it to move by selecting the next track but I have a feeling this is the begining of the end.

I still have my Toshiba 520E, the only reason I'm not using that ATM is that the transport has a tendancy to be noisy with CDs. It can be annoying when listening at low volume and during quiet passages.

I normally use a digital connection between my CD player and receiver.

I'm looking at the NAD 521i and Marantz 5000 to start with.

What are my options?

Will a CD player instead of my DVD really improve the sound? I am a sceptic when it comes to these things. The rest of my system is detailed below in my sig.

Thanks

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Improving musical performance is quite a hot topic here at the mo, with several of us going through the same process.

I'm sure we've had a similar conversation before, but it bears repeating.

DVD players are reasonable CD players (I'd put my Pioneer 656 alongside most Jap sub £200 CD players). A higher price CD player e.g. Arcam CD72T does sound better than just about any dvd player, but whether you can hear a big enough difference to justify the expence is down to you really. The best way to tell is to get a player on loan & put it head to head with your DVD player - a good test of musical fidelity is to get two similar sounding tracks from silmilar discs such as the two LOTR sound tracks and play them simultaneously & just switch sources on the amp (switch the discs around from time to time as well). In my experience doing this, I could definitely hear improved performance over the dvd player, But is it worth spending £400 for? I'm still debating that point (especially as wilber junior just pranged the motor :mad: ).

To put it into some perspective, the difference in moving from DVD player to CD player is nowhere near as marked as playing music through an integrated amp rather than an av amp.

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks wilber.

I was expecting a comment on the use of digital connection so I think I'll prempt that with an explaination.

My receiver is used 90% of the time in stereo (not direct) or one of the 2-->5.1 sound modes. If I understand things correctly this means that the sound has to be made digital so that processing can be done on it, not to mention the EQ done by MCACC.

If you consider the path that the sound goes through, then using an analogue connection between the CD player and the receiver introduces an extra D to A and A to D step. I doubt that this will improve the sound.

The only time I use the analogue connection is when using headphones with my receiver. One thing that annoys me about the 2011 is that when you plus in headphones it leaves MCACC on, which is absolute lunacy. I always use direct mode with headphones and it sounds really good.

BTW: Any sugestions what might be wrong with my 750S and how to fix it?

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Ahh digital analogue conversions -

Your av amps DACs are probably better than dvd players so digital in is the right way forward. If you buy a quality CD player then take a digital feed to the amp then essentially you have an expensive CD transport.

Since I use an integrated amp for CD replay you will guess that I don't have much regard for use of DSPs or PLII for music :D - if you have a player with good DACs, let it do the conversion and take analogue connections to the amp and turn off all processing (IMHO)

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You had a 2011 didn't you Wilber?

If you have a look in my review thread for the 2011 you will soon see there is no way I'm going to turn off processing (MCACC) in stereo. The difference is sound is pretty big. Turning it off makes the sound duller and boxy. I can hear it is coming from my speakers. With MCACC enabled the sound is just there, a vast improvement. Not to mention the increased clarity and lack of boom.

You didn't find this?

I don't use DLP2 etc much for music, more for TV. Most of the time it's just normal stereo.

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  7. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Never owned a 2011 - had one on trial for a few days b4 7oaks made me give it back! Never got into the intricasies of all its gizmos so I can't comment. I am definitely in the "don't let my stereo music near an av amp" camp though - the only av amp I heard that was up to music being the Arcam AVR200 - which was poor with movies - as always it's a compromise. I chose to have two boxes.

I'd steer clear of Sony CD players - brittle sounding little buggers. Always liked NAD apart from the fact that they look so awful & my best mate swears that Marantz make the best cd players on the planet.

8. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Sorry wilber I'm obviously confusing you with someone else.

That Sony looks stunning. It would be a perfect fit with my Tosh DVD and Pioneer amp. It very hard to get information on though. I found a review of the previous model which said it wasn't very good with CD playback :(

The NAD is tempting but it is low on features and pretty average looking. The Marantz I'm really not sure about. I had a look at both of them in my local hifi shop this morning. The prices were high though, £180 for the 5000 and £310 for the 6000LE.

9. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    richers do the marantz players much cheaper than that - unfortunately only in black marantz 6000

10. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    What about Cambridge Audio's D500SE CD player. Dont rule it out because its a Richer Sounds brand, I wouldnt be surprised if it was better than the others you've listed - and its available in silver.

11. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks pbirkett but that player doesn't seem to support CDR/CDRW playback.

This looks decent, good review from WHF, but no stock.

Sony XE570

There is also this Sony XE670

and this Harman Kardon HD750

Can't find much info on the HK other than what's on the website.

So many choices and not enough information!!

12. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am no expert but I got the Sony XE670 for 130 quid from richer sounds so I could play Dark Side of the Moon in SACD and am very happy with it, bargain as far as I am conerned. I tried 500+ CD players in comparison with my Harmon Kardon DVD25 and I couldn't notice the difference... to many knocks to the head over the last few years ;) .