Suggestions for Amplifiers

smotiram

Hi all,

I would love some help from the community regarding what amplifier to get for my home entertainment system.

I currently have a Denon AV Surround Receiver AVR-2310 which I have had for over a decade connected to a Bowers & Wilkins PV1 5.1 Surround Sound System. The Receiver has finally packed up and am in need of a new one. Naturally, I would like to future proof the Receiver so am looking for something which is capable of 8k or even beyond. Would love your suggestions on an amplifier to get as a replacement for the AVR-2310.

Happy to answer any questions that you may have and look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Thanking the community in advance.

gibbsy

The 2310 was a very good AV amp, I still have one kept as a 'just in case'. I would say that you would need a Denon AVR X3700 to better it, the X2700 would simply be a replacement bar the new formats lacking on the 2310 such as Atmos.

Bad time for your 2310 to go bang as prices are still very high and demand is outstripping supply. I'd have a look as to what is available by doing some searches but a quality replacement is going to cost you north of £600.

smotiram

The 2310 was a very good AV amp, I still have one kept as a 'just in case'. I would say that you would need a Denon AVR X3700 to better it, the X2700 would simply be a replacement bar the new formats lacking on the 2310 such as Atmos.

Bad time for your 2310 to go bang as prices are still very high and demand is outstripping supply. I'd have a look as to what is available by doing some searches but a quality replacement is going to cost you north of £600.
Hi Gibbsy,

Thanks for your suggestion. I was looking into the X3700 and as you eluded to, the model appears to be out of stock in the places I have checked. What is the reason for the shortfall in supply?

gibbsy

Hi Gibbsy,

Thanks for your suggestion. I was looking into the X3700 and as you eluded to, the model appears to be out of stock in the places I have checked. What is the reason for the shortfall in supply?
Covid and a major fire at the AKM chip factory in Japan are two of the biggest factors. Think it could be a while before things get back to normal and many of the south east Asia countries where the amps are produced are in a strict lockdown. There are also shipping problems throughout the globe. Hence the high prices and availability. Knock on effect is that used AV amps or blu ray players have never had it so good.

smotiram

Covid and a major fire at the AKM chip factory in Japan are two of the biggest factors. Think it could be a while before things get back to normal and many of the south east Asia countries where the amps are produced are in a strict lockdown. There are also shipping problems throughout the globe. Hence the high prices and availability. Knock on effect is that used AV amps or blu ray players have never had it so good.
Hi Gibbsy, what are your thoughts on the amplifier linked below? Seems a decent price albeit, delivery day isn't available.

What are the tangible differences between the two? Appreciate your help in this.

gibbsy

Not as powerful as the X3700 and limited to a maximum set up of 7.1 or 5.1.2 for Atmos. The X3700 has the superior Audyssey XT32 room correction system over the basic XT found on the X2700. The X3700 can do 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 out of the box and comes with a full set of pre-outs. The X2700 is a very good AV amp, as are all of the Denons. If you don't want to expand beyond a seven channel set up then it is a good choice.

Like all the Denon models the higher the number the better the amp. With your speakers you will get the same performance as you currently have with the 2310. The 2310 had the basic Audyssey on board so you will be familiar with how it performs in your room.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom