Suggestions for amp/speaker upgrade: Marantz, Musical Fidelity, KEF, Dali - how does it all fit?

Slowmo

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, so I am upgrading my system, but getting stuck. I have partial knowledge about these things, but we all know, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
I much appreciate your expert advice.
Let me lay it out.
My main device is a Thorens TD 160 record player.
I was running it through a 2nd hand Yamaha AX-397 and KEF 30 Crestas. It was ok, but the sound seemed kind of restrained, lacking vibrance or excitement. So I have just bought a Marantz PM 6007. It sounds better.
However: I also tried a 2nd hand Musical Fidelity x150. That sounded much better, a lot more vibrance and kick. I realize now its also 80watts, compared to 45w on the Marantz.
I've heard that watts don't necessarily matter, but also that the KEFs needs some serious amp behind them.
I've also been considering going for Dali Oberon 5s (my living room is about 4.5 meters square - a normal medium sized apartment room).
So: Should I go for the Marantz 6007 with the Dali Oberon 5s? Good combo?
Or: Return the Marantz (I think I lose 10% if I do that...) and then buy the Musical Fidelity (cost is $400 - seems like a lot for a 15 year old amp, but the sound was good).
-- and in that case could either keep the KEFs, get the Dali Oberon 5s, or somebody else is selling Dali Ikon 6 mkII for $700. (which I am so so on because they seem quite big for my room)

Thoughts? I don't really get how all of these things work together, how good an idea it is to buy used equipment, and how to get a nice lively, vibrant sound (comparing it to my brother in law's system, a Cambridge a81 with bookshelf Bowes and Wilkins, which sounded great.). I listen to 2nd hand records, old rock, jazz, and folk.

Also, one important thing to add: I tend to listen at low volume. Music is rock, jazz, folk.

Thanks.

S

Last edited:
Not all amps are the same which you have experience as the headroom from one product to another can make all the difference and this is where the current or ampage makes the difference

As for what to do, allow you're ears to make the choice as you'll be kicking yourself and end up buying twice where you will lose more than 10%

Yeah, I don't really have a way to try them out unless I buy them, unfortunately.

The MF is an excellent amp. As is usual for them.

It has a very good current supply and a consequently good grip on even hungry speakers.

The Kefs are not really up to showing off what it can do.

I’d replace them forthwith.

The Oberons are a delight by almost all accounts. And certainly a big upgrade on the Crestas.

Any opinions about whether the Marantz PM6007 is powerful enough for the Oberon 5s to play music at low levels?

Any opinions about whether the Marantz PM6007 is powerful enough for the Oberon 5s to play music at low levels?
On paper the Marantz is capable with the Dali being 6 ohm and 88dB sensitive. The Marantz laid back warm signature should suit the Dalis which I've always throught too forward for me personally. Essential you audition, don't go by other peoples opinions as we are all different.

No, Marantz amps are terrible. All levels, CD players absolutely, yes please. Good interconnection and speaker stands, cables. The Marantz amps on the entry level are need of a boost in my humble opinion. Power amp perhaps?

No, Marantz amps are terrible. All levels, CD players absolutely, yes please. Good interconnection and speaker stands, cables. The Marantz amps on the entry level are need of a boost in my humble opinion. Power amp perhaps?
I'm guessing from this post you don't like marantz amps then 🙂🙂

Haha 👍 The top end ones that look like some thing from “20,000 leagues under the sea” and sound fantastic. They are great on treble but no bass sadly. I like Arcam, because I think they do this more eloquently. A sub of power amp is perhaps necessary. Recommend Bi Wire too, QED quad won’t break the bank either. Thanks

I have gone back to Marantz after 2 decades of trying a variety of amps Sony, Rotel, Cambridge Audio & more & I have got that music back that I missed. Solid, reliable & the sound I lost has returned. Since my purchase of the pm 6007 I was so impressed I went out & bought the cd 6007 & its like my music has reborn again . Marantz Solid & reliable like a pair of slippers. So happy it's revived my interest in hifi. But I have so much old stuff I have to sell but people want it really cheap which I refuse to do.

I have gone back to Marantz after 2 decades of trying a variety of amps Sony, Rotel, Cambridge Audio & more & I have got that music back that I missed. Solid, reliable & the sound I lost has returned. Since my purchase of the pm 6007 I was so impressed I went out & bought the cd 6007 & its like my music has reborn again . Marantz Solid & reliable like a pair of slippers. So happy it's revived my interest in hifi. But I have so much old stuff I have to sell but people want it really cheap which I refuse to do.
I have a bit of a hifi clear out to arrange. Most are lower budget stuff, picked up a few bits for my girlfriend about a year ago as she got a new house and she didn't want it 😭, so must get around to offloading.

To OP, I like marantz, but you clearly say the musical fidelity is better for you so in this regard not sure why you are still considering the marantz

I have a bit of a hifi clear out to arrange. Most are lower budget stuff, picked up a few bits for my girlfriend about a year ago as she got a new house and she didn't want it 😭, so must get around to offloading.

To OP, I like marantz, but you clearly say the musical fidelity is better for you so in this regard not sure why you are still considering the marantz
Having owned marantz in the past & going through so many brands roughly every 5 years over 45 years of buying hifi my personal experience brought me back to Marantz as it has the sound I missed & never seemed to find anywhere else. You mentioned the brand musical fidelity, I have never owned them?. Anyhow so I looked at this review of their lowest basic model at £700 (phew). It says,This is one of the most stripped-back amplifiers we’ve come across at this level. It offers the basics – a remote control, six line level inputs, including a tape loop and a home cinema bypass option to help integration into a surround system – and not much else. Budgets play a big part in systems & Musical fidelity at that starting point would not be a choice when you find the sound you are happy with elsewhere. Only yesterday when replacing my speakers with Bower & Wilkins 607 s2 anniversary for the first time my wife commented (she's never interested), on the sound clarity of detail that was picked out. Now that's a reaction that you need to know you made a good choice & played through the reliable great sounding reasonably priced Marantz. pm6007.

Haha 👍 The top end ones that look like some thing from “20,000 leagues under the sea” and sound fantastic. They are great on treble but no bass sadly. I like Arcam, because I think they do this more eloquently. A sub of power amp is perhaps necessary. Recommend Bi Wire too, QED quad won’t break the bank either. Thanks
Had an Arcam & probably around 7 other brands that's why I now own a 2nd Marantz. Just goes to show all our ears a mental states differ. Look deeper into the marantz history.

huge lover of arcam here !! they just are compelling . incidentally popped an a85 on some 607s2 anniversary and you would be surprised at the bass and clarity . remarkable speaker

not sure about the 6007 marantz but many many people rave about marantz and enjoy the brand

Had an Arcam & probably around 7 other brands that's why I now own a 2nd Marantz. Just goes to show all our ears a mental states differ. Look deeper into the marantz history.

huge lover of arcam here !! they just are compelling . incidentally popped an a85 on some 607s2 anniversary and you would be surprised at the bass and clarity . remarkable speaker

not sure about the 6007 marantz but many many people rave about marantz and enjoy the brand
I agree, the Bowers & Wilkins in white to match my white rega planar 3 made my wife turn her head & comment on the detail from the speakers when I first tested tested them, which shocked me as she never takes notice, but she described the sound well she should be a reviewer. Yes I went back to Marantz based on reviews & my happy memories of previous ownership years ago. I recently purchased the cd6007usb to pair up & I have to highly recommend that too. I feel content at last.

Hey folks, so I am upgrading my system, but getting stuck. I have partial knowledge about these things, but we all know, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
I much appreciate your expert advice.
Let me lay it out.
My main device is a Thorens TD 160 record player.
I was running it through a 2nd hand Yamaha AX-397 and KEF 30 Crestas. It was ok, but the sound seemed kind of restrained, lacking vibrance or excitement. So I have just bought a Marantz PM 6007. It sounds better.
However: I also tried a 2nd hand Musical Fidelity x150. That sounded much better, a lot more vibrance and kick. I realize now its also 80watts, compared to 45w on the Marantz.
I've heard that watts don't necessarily matter, but also that the KEFs needs some serious amp behind them.
I've also been considering going for Dali Oberon 5s (my living room is about 4.5 meters square - a normal medium sized apartment room).
So: Should I go for the Marantz 6007 with the Dali Oberon 5s? Good combo?
Or: Return the Marantz (I think I lose 10% if I do that...) and then buy the Musical Fidelity (cost is $400 - seems like a lot for a 15 year old amp, but the sound was good).
-- and in that case could either keep the KEFs, get the Dali Oberon 5s, or somebody else is selling Dali Ikon 6 mkII for $700. (which I am so so on because they seem quite big for my room)

Thoughts? I don't really get how all of these things work together, how good an idea it is to buy used equipment, and how to get a nice lively, vibrant sound (comparing it to my brother in law's system, a Cambridge a81 with bookshelf Bowes and Wilkins, which sounded great.). I listen to 2nd hand records, old rock, jazz, and folk.

Also, one important thing to add: I tend to listen at low volume. Music is rock, jazz, folk.

Thanks.

S
Keep the marantz and match it with any dalis. Musical fidelity with either dali or kef will be fatiguing at some point. Dalis and kefs r bright speakers and musical fidelity is not laid-back but marantz is. And if u ever get the chance get an hegel along the journey... enjoi

I was researching the price of your speakers & found this..

Marantz PM6007 AMP and Dali Oberon 5 speakers​

An excellent upgrade from my 20 year old setup. Excellent service and price (matched to another dealer), saved around £400 pounds. Was able to listen to the system in the comfort of Richer Sounds listening room - no sales pressure and advice available if requested. You cannot beat Richer Sounds for excellence all round.
Now I have just bought the pm6007 but due to space i purchased bookshelf speakers B&W 607 S2 anniversary was £500 but £150 off in a sale after hearing great reviews. Now I knew they sounded good but when my wife walked in & said,"oh my god they sound amazing" & stopped to listen & she never comments. I was very happy but if your mind is set on the dali's then go with your heart.

Attachments

• 20220404_102305.jpg
    20220404_102305.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 83

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom