Question Suggestions for Amp for Bedroom

thegoolian

Novice Member
Hi there, recently came into a pair Kef IQ5SEs that I have set up in my room. Really would like them to be connected to my TV for mainly for music but also potentially for films. Was hoping to get one for fairly cheap (sub £150 ish although if I saw the perfect one I might consider paying more) and not looking to expand beyond these 2 speakers. Would like it to be as small/slim as possible to fit on my desk. I have looked around but really not sure what I'm looking for or what sort of wattage amp I should be going for here, if anyone could narrow it down or explain it to me that'd be great as there's lot of confusing information out there.

System info on the back of the speakers says:
8 ohm
15-130W

Assuming I'd be wiring these into the back of an amp separately, which makes them wired in parallel, this would become a 4ohm impedance on the amp so i need to look for one that works in that range? The wattage range however, is throwing me off.

Any help or feedback appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2264.JPG
    IMG_2264.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 27

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Ignore everything about watts and ohms. It doesn’t matter.

And also ignore the bi-wiring nonsense. That doesn’t do anything.

So, unless you’re going to have two amps and use them to bi-amp the Kefs, just use one run of speaker cable into the speakers keeping the link wires in place.

A budget would be useful for amp suggestions.

And... very good speakers; I’m certain you’ll enjoy them.

Aha... I noticed the budget on a second read...:smashin:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
It’s a tight budget for those speakers, but good stuff may still be done.

Any of the above will do a good job for your budget.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
However, if you can stretch the budget, and get this fellow to sell for a more reasonable price, then this is all the amp you’ll need.

password1

Distinguished Member
Great suggestions from Paul7777x

The A75 plus version is better than the non plus version.

All you need is any amp capable of driving those speakers, so most amps and a separate DAC. A cheap £15-20 ebay job will do the job.

Assuming your TV has digital out, youll need a DAC or an amp with built in DAC such as Marantz PM6006 or one of the Yamaha offerings. You might be lucky and pick up a PM6005 or PM6006 for around £150. The PM6006 uk edition would most likely be over budget because people sell them for very close to rrp.

An av receiver which would have built in DAC/digital inputs would be adequate for TV/films in 2 channel/stereo mode but won't be very good for stereo music duties if its a budget model.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom