Suggestions for a very small scale home cinema

Long term I'll move to a new unit, but balancing the budget so that's on the long finger, along with an 84" TV.

Whilst "er indoors" is in such a cooperative mood, I'm looking at adding a pair of Atmos ceiling speakers.

Any recommendations? And am I right in thinking that this is the location they should go?
20220226_141617.jpg

I'll dig back through the thread now, pretty sure @The Dreamer had a recommendation back there somewhere.

Long term I'll move to a new unit, but balancing the budget so that's on the long finger, along with an 84" TV.

Whilst "er indoors" is in such a cooperative mood, I'm looking at adding a pair of Atmos ceiling speakers.

Any recommendations? And am I right in thinking that this is the location they should go?
View attachment 1660174

I'll dig back through the thread now, pretty sure @The Dreamer had a recommendation back there somewhere.

I think the general recommendation for 2 Atmos speakers is around where your knees would be. The Dolby guidelines show them between 65 and 100 degrees from your ears.

Dolby 5.1.2 Guidelines

@JamesR100 I'm actually now considering those Q Acoustics Q165c for Atmos.

You're happy with them?
I use the QAcoustics QI65S and they're fantastic value for me (see sig), have a look on my build but yeah you will NOT be disappointed trust me! I had to spray the covers black on my installation as they came white but bar that look great!

I use the QAcoustics QI65S and they're fantastic value for me in my build (see sig), have a look on my build but yeah you will NOT be disappointed trust me! I had to spray the covers black on my build as they came white but bar that look great!
It's white I need, to match the ceiling.

Thanks for the review.

Next Atmos question...

How strict are the placement guidelines? At an initial rough estimate, my pair of speakers would go here:
20220226_141617.jpg

My question is whether it makes much of a difference to move them forward a little. As in away from the wall and towards the light. Probably actually level with the light.

It's purely aesthetic, as I think it will look better if they're centred between the front and back walls.

Thoughts?

Also re the overall layout, this is the Dolby 5.1.2 diagram along with my more likely setup.

Screenshot_20220316-121220_Chrome.jpg

Note the sub moving behind the seating. I know this isn't ideal but I'm not seeing any other way to accommodate it into the system once I put in a cabinet that will fill the whole wall. Better behind the seats than inside a unit!

Will you notice them not being central after a week?

When I saw the non square end of the room my thought was to have a PJ screen coming down past the odd shape. It would mean retracting the screen to leave the room. Not sure what screen size you could get with 3m of throw though.

Will you notice them not being central after a week?
Probably... I'm a bit OCD like that.

When I saw the non square end of the room my thought was to have a PJ screen coming down past the odd shape. It would mean retracting the screen to leave the room.
Yeah I had initially thought about a screen, but just too awkward, and expensive. Big TV the only option.

Nice.

Have you run Audyssey yet? It should help 'blend' the speakers and set the levels.

Then you need to watch some demo worthy Atmos movies - maybe start here? :smashin:

edit: Oh! And don't forget DTS:X tracks too, they make good use of overhead speakers - often more obviously than Atmos!

Last edited:
Have you run Audyssey yet? It should help 'blend' the speakers and set the levels.
Not yet, I did run it previously but only fitted the ceilings yesterday so I'll run it again later today.

I need to learn how to get all systems up and running properly. I have a Sky Q mini box there but I'm not 100% sure if it is Atmos compatible or if its only on the main Q boxes. Xbox is similar. I had the DTS app installed so it was working fine but then I think I needed to install a Dolby Atmos app for the ceilings to come in.

Very nice, did you go for the q acoustics in the end? The atmos effects are often quite subtle, but assuming you have a 4k Blu-ray player, the atmos effects on the latest blade runner are very nice. But that’s a nice install
Yeah im using an Xbox One X for bluray. That said, the TV (for now) isn't 4k. Its an older Sharp, 1080p only. An 84" UHD is on the shopping list but its a bit down the line.

Next thing on the shopping list is...

New seating only a few weeks away, looking forward to it.

Meanwhile I added some led strip lighting along the back wall. It's a bit too visible for now but once the seating is in that'll be sorted.

20220517_193729.jpg

Furniture arrived!
20220620_120346.jpg
20220620_120924.jpg
20220620_120943.jpg
20220620_121020.jpg
20220620_093535.jpg

The table slips under any side depending on where I'm sitting, or I can just leave it to the side.

Might get a skinny fridge sometime to go at the side.

Super comfortable.

Of course I made the mistake of leaving it unattended for 2 minutes...
20220620_102620.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom