Suggestions for a very small scale home cinema

I think the long hdmi coming from the splitter is Amazon Basics, so I'll only need 2 new cables, from the xbox to the AVR and the AVR to the TV. So for the sake of a few extra quid I could get 2.1s

No need, but no harm? Future proofing that is.

And the unusually long run with splitter that the Sky comes over, that won't be an issue?

No harm, as far as I know, no.

As far as long runs go - it depends on just how long! Some people get away with regular runs of 10-15m, and some people have issues.

If you have issues feeding over the length you need, there are plenty of active fibre HDMI cables from around the £45 mark that will do the job. I use one myself to get my video from the AV rack to my projector - around 50ft - and it works well (been in use for several years with no issues).

Joe would be a better source to help with that though, as there's new stuff all the time - and I'm sure some cheaper fibre cables might not have great build quality.

HTH

Brilliant again, thanks.

@Joe Fernand any suggestions on cables would be great. As I say it's a Sky mini box, fed into a hdmi splitter in the attic, and then 3 outputs. One to the gym room, one back into the bedroom where the sky box is, and one up to the "cinema" room via long hdmi, I think it's maybe 15-20m.

It's not the end of the world, as I say most of the viewing once the room is done will be via xbox but no harm in covering all options now!

Actually looking at the house, it may not be that long. This is from street view, the yellow dot is the splitter, the red are the cables in and out. For reference the house is maybe 70-75ft long.

Screenshot_20220128-204013_Maps.jpg

Depending on the nature of the splitter, it may actually 'amplify' the signal anyway (I know it's digital - but you get the drift), so you might get away with a regular cable - if it's working now, there's no reason to think it wouldn't work with an AVR in the mix.

PS Why are we messing around in this room - you have a garage block ripe for conversion into a cinema! :D

Long HDMI cable - your options will vary with how easy it would be to ever upgrade the cable and will you stick with a 1080p Source signal!

At 15m you are you are very much on the edge with 1080p and beyond what is usually possible for 4K.

A Hybrid Fibre cable will cater for 4K UKD with HDR - some will also cater for 8K.

If you go the HDMI route ensure you have the ability to replace the cable - they can fail, be damaged or become obsolete.

Another option, and a good backup solution when replacing a cable is not easy, is HDMI over CAT using a solid core, non-CCS/CCA CAT6 cable plus Extender solution, which can work for up to 4K.

Joe

Long HDMI cable - your options will vary with how easy it would be to ever upgrade the cable and will you stick with a 1080p Source signal!

At 15m you are you are very much on the edge with 1080p and beyond what is usually possible for 4K.

A Hybrid Fibre cable will cater for 4K UKD with HDR - some will also cater for 8K.

If you go the HDMI route ensure you have the ability to replace the cable - they can fail, be damaged or become obsolete.

Another option, and a good backup solution when replacing a cable is not easy, is HDMI over CAT using a solid core, non-CCS/CCA CAT6 cable plus Extender solution, which can work for up to 4K.

Joe
Thanks @Joe Fernand
I actually think it's a moot point, I just checked and the Sky mini boxes don't support 4k anyway.

Should still be OK for 5.1 sound though I think.

Any recommendations on AVR?

Is this the kind of thing I'm looking for?

I know it's ebay but just figuring out what to look for when I trawl the Classifieds here.

And a possible dumb question (no surprise), I see where the 5 and the 1 go, but where would the 2 (Atmos) connect to here?
Screenshot_20220129-024812_eBay.jpg

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Any recommendations on AVR?

Is this the kind of thing I'm looking for?

I know it's ebay but just figuring out what to look for when I trawl the Classifieds here.

And a possible dumb question (no surprise), I see where the 5 and the 1 go, but where would the 2 (Atmos) connect to here?
View attachment 1644961

According to the manual, you connect any ‘overhead’ speakers to the back surround connections and then ‘assign’ those connections to run as whichever Atmos configuration you’ve decided on, using the setup menu of the AVR.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Just following the thread and can't wait to see what you think to the setup once it's all running @DrPhil

Also... Cool place you have. The architecture reminds me of northern Ireland (similar style buildings and lots of gardens) Do you mind me asking where abouts you're based?

Also... Cool place you have. The architecture reminds me of northern Ireland (similar style buildings and lots of gardens) Do you mind me asking where abouts you're based?
Northern Ireland...

Well not quite. I'm in Donegal which is in ROI but I'm literally a mile from the border.

There's a house renovation thread floating around General Chat somewhere from when I moved here.

According to the manual, you connect any ‘overhead’ speakers to the back surround connections and then ‘assign’ those connections to run as whichever Atmos configuration you’ve decided on, using the setup menu of the AVR.

Thanks, so that would be a suitable one for what I'm doing?

There's one in the Classifieds here currently...

Thanks, so that would be a suitable one for what I'm doing?

There's one in the Classifieds here currently...

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but looking at the specs, it seems it'd do the job.

‘Should still be OK for 5.1 sound though I think’ - if you are going to split the Source HDMI and the Source is set to 5.1 via HDMI all three end points would need to support 5.1.

Assuming two of the zones are TV’s which only support stereo you will want to set the Source to 2.0 via HDMI and use an Optical cable between the Source and the AVR for 5.1 and then ‘assign’ the Optical Input as the Digital Audio to pair with the selected HDMI Input.

Joe

‘Should still be OK for 5.1 sound though I think’ - if you are going to split the Source HDMI and the Source is set to 5.1 via HDMI all three end points would need to support 5.1.

Assuming two of the zones are TV’s which only support stereo you will want to set the Source to 2.0 via HDMI and use an Optical cable between the Source and the AVR for 5.1 and then ‘assign’ the Optical Input as the Digital Audio to pair with the selected HDMI Input.

Joe
Ahh, never thought of that. Thanks. So the Sky setup via HDMI needs to stay as it is, and a separate optical cable from the mini box direct to the "cinema" TV.

The ‘usual’ connectivity would be:

SKY Mini box
HDMI (1080 + Stereo audio) > 1x3 Distribution Amp
Optical (DD 5.1) > AVR

1x3 Distribution Amp
Output A > AVR
Output B > TV 2
Output C > TV 3

AVR
HDMI Output > TV 1

Joe

Perfect, thanks @Joe Fernand that's idiot proof enough for me!

10m optical cable is less than a tenner.

Scared to ask, but "HDMI distribution amp" sounds a bit more high tech than what I have in place...

20220129_165015.jpg

And when I say "in place", yes I do mean duct taped to the inside of a built in wardrobe...

Distribution Amp = ‘splitter’.

Duct Tape > leaves a sticky mess behind when you remove it.

Gaffa Tape > leaves no residue and is usually preferred in the AV, Event and Production world.

We have used Gaffa Tape to attach a ‘Pulnix’ camera to the outside of a Train on the West Highland line for a proof of concept/publicity event in the past, alway have a few Rolls handy :)

Joe

Yeah the taps is up on the inside wall of a built in wardrobe to keep everything hidden.

So the splitter I have should still do the trick.

Thanks again.

So that Denon AVR I linked before has been pulled from sale, so I might put up a wanted listing.

So I should be asking for a 5.1.2 AVR, HDMI 2.1, anything else I should have on my wish list?

Northern Ireland...

Well not quite. I'm in Donegal which is in ROI but I'm literally a mile from the border.

There's a house renovation thread floating around General Chat somewhere from when I moved here.
Cool, wasn't too far away with the guess then! I'll check out the thread.

Cool, wasn't too far away with the guess then! I'll check out the thread.

Blimey, almost 10 years now!

Few options on a certain auction site currently.

Marantz NR1506 without the calibration mic for £350

Pioneer VSX-934 for £450

Denon X3400H at £470

The Marantz, I don't believe, does Atmos - so at some point you'll want to upgrade from that - even if you don't plan on Atmos right now.

The other two are decent candidates - though I'm not familiar with the Pioneer.

I'm not directly familiar with the Denon either, but it's the closest thing to any of my Marantz gear that I've used in the past.

No idea, whether the prices are reasonable though - do you have an AV dealer close by? They often have stuff taken in as part-ex that might suit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom