Suggestions for a very small scale home cinema

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
AVR - don’t get hung up on having to have the very latest features, again nice to have but not a ‘must have’.
Yeah I'm just thinking ahead, if I do end up wanting to upgrade from bog standard to more mid range down the line it might save me having to upgrade everything. That was my logic anyway.

TV - whats that model number :)
20220124_203054.jpg

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
These are great rear speakers...you might be able to pick up a second hand set for half that price. My friend runs a set in a mid range system and they sound very good indeed and sit nice and flat on the rear wall.

Showed herself the pic, she didn't even answer. The look was enough.

Just seen these mate....bargain for some atmos speakers...

Now that I can work with. Fingers crossed now that they ship to NI.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
To be honest, I may dispense with the Atmos, at least for now.

SWMBO agreed to ceiling speakers but that was when I thought I could use them for the actual rears.

If the rears are going to be sneaky corner mounted at the back of the sofa then I'm not sure it's worth butchering the ceiling for the Atmos. If it was the only acceptable way to get rears at all then I would.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
This seems like good value as it includes the sub.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
This seems like good value as it includes the sub.

We ran this setup for around 3 years, and it gets the job done - certainly a step up from a sound bar.

The stands will clear the top of your sofa, and if the wife demands it, I guess you could lie them down when not in use.

As your wife gets used to the visual aesthetic, and The benefit of ‘surround sound’, you may well find that upgrades further down the road will get approval.

I still have my set of these ‘eggs’ in the garage, waiting to go into the snug - but there’s so much more that needs doing around the house that I don’t think they’ll see the light of day for another couple of years yet!

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
As your wife gets used to the visual aesthetic, and The benefit of ‘surround sound’, you may well find that upgrades further down the road will get approval
That's my logic lol, stealth approach. Do you know if those stands that come with the eggs are adjustable in height or are they preset at the best level?

I'm hoping that they're adjustable so I can just lower them when not in use rather than lie them down.

I'm thinking of getting an xBox S for the room and just leave the xBox One in the main living room as it is our dedicated bluray/UHD player in there. I have a separate UHD player in the small room already.

calvind123

Crap, must be sold out. Tried adding to cart and it just says the number specified is not available.

They've only got 1 left, I tried to buy two a few weeks ago.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
That's my logic lol, stealth approach. Do you know if those stands that come with the eggs are adjustable in height or are they preset at the best level?

I'm hoping that they're adjustable so I can just lower them when not in use rather than lie them down.

I'm thinking of getting an xBox S for the room and just leave the xBox One in the main living room as it is our dedicated bluray/UHD player in there. I have a separate UHD player in the small room already.
I think they're fixed. I didn't have mine on stands, I bought wall mounts for them all and fixed them permanently in our living room. It was my first ever attempt at rodding wires and cables around the room, and it worked brilliantly! It's probably what kick-started my AV journey. :smashin:

These eggs are so small, I'm pretty sure your wife will just accept them after a few weeks of 'forgetting' to lie them down out of sight! ;)

edit: the good thing about them being on stands is that you'll be able to move them around a little to see where best suits you. Your surrounds are going to be pretty close to your ears, so finding a spot where you still get the surround effect without it overpowering everything else will involve a spot of trial and error.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Yeah I'll edge the sofa forward a bit today, get her used to not being flush to the wall.

Might just switch the xbox and the UHD player around too, so that room will become the gaming room right away. Not that I play that much anyway at the minute. No sense in keeping the old box in the main living room when it's basically just used as a BR/UHD player.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
@DrPhil I started out the same as you, getting small satellite speakers like the KEF Eggs you are keen on, as they were wife friendly.
I slowly upgraded the front 3 speakers to regular standmount speakers and centre but the rears had to remain small so I got these. The are about the same size as a Rubiks cube, so very wife friendly.
Just another option if you don't get the KEF Eggs.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Got the Eggs, down from £165 to £150. Couldn't get any lower as the postage is going to cost him way more than the £15 on the listing.

Xbox picked up here in the Classifieds.

Got a bit of backpay this month (thanks NHS for the mind blowing 3%), so putting a bit aside towards the AVR and that'll be me up and running.

Anyone have a recommendation on speaker wire or is it much of a muchness?

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Got the Eggs, down from £165 to £150. Couldn't get any lower as the postage is going to cost him way more than the £15 on the listing.

Xbox picked up here in the Classifieds.

Got a bit of backpay this month (thanks NHS for the mind blowing 3%), so putting a bit aside towards the AVR and that'll be me up and running.

Anyone have a recommendation on speaker wire or is it much of a muchness?

As long as it isn’t bell-wire, pretty much anything over the distances you’re talking will do the job.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
This'll do the trick then?
View attachment 1644715

It will be a fair distance, up the wall, acrosss the roofspace, down the wall and across.

Probably about 13m for the longest run I'd say.
Ah, OK. I had assumed the runs would be behind the skirting boards.

Someone better versed in this might care to comment - but as I understand it, OFC is a step up from CCA (OFC = Oxygen Free Copper) - I'd be inclined to look towards something like this...

I honestly don't know how much is marketing hype vs what is actually needed - just in my mind, pure copper would win over copper coated aluminium.🤷‍♂️

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Ah, OK. I had assumed the runs would be behind the skirting boards.

Someone better versed in this might care to comment - but as I understand it, OFC is a step up from CCA (OFC = Oxygen Free Copper) - I'd be inclined to look towards something like this...

I honestly don't know how much is marketing hype vs what is actually needed - just in my mind, pure copper would win over copper coated aluminium.🤷‍♂️
Thanks, I'll get something OFC. same company does a 50m reel of that for £18 compared to the £13 for the previous one so might as well.

Edit, that £18 seems suspiciously cheap compared to the stuff you linked on Richer Sounds. I just got some on Amazon, KabelDirekt pure copper. Found it on a recommendation elsewhere here.

Last edited:

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
@The Dreamer ill continue pestering you with questions if you don't mind...

Once I get an AVR, I'll have the following sources connecting to the TV.

• Xbox One
  • Sky (connected from a mini box, to a hdmi splitter and from the splitter to the TV via a long hdmi cable run)

Xbox will be used for most viewing, discs, Netflix, Prime, Disney+. Sky used for sport mostly as general sky viewing will be in the main living room. I'll use the cinema room for football, MMA etc.

Are they all OK to connect to the AVR using standard hdmi cables or do I need something particular, 2.1 etc? I have a Nintendo Wii but it's barely used so I won't worry too much on that.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Yep. Stick them all into the AVR, and let it do the switching - some AVR's allow 'pass-thru' so don't need to be switched on, they'll just pass the complete audio/video feed to the TV if you feel like not using the surround sound.

Regular 'Amazon Basics' cables are actually pretty good. Don't go for super short (0.5m) cables, make sure they're at least 1m in length - apparently short cables can suffer from timing issues!

No need for fancy '2.1' cables at this stage.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp