Suggestions for a sub with B&W speakers

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by silver1386, Jul 23, 2018.

1. silver1386

silver1386
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just joined the site and I love it! We just bought our first house so I'm thrilled to be able to install the speakers I've always wanted. I have 3 different questions so I'll do a post for each. I'm looking for a good Atmos setup, but I think we have a difficult room for it. I can post pictures if that helps. Please let me know what info I can provide to avoid the standard newbie questions.

I just bought the Bowers & Wilkens 683 S2 and Marantz SR6012 receiver. I'm going to get the B & W HTM61 S2 for the center. I am in the U.S. and would like to purchase the rest of the stuff at Best Buy if possible.

First is I need to decide on a subwoofer or two...I haven't finished reading your guys articles on the pros/cons. My main question is there benefit in getting their ASW610 because of my front and center speakers? Just by the looks of it I think it would be underpowered, but I know that can be deceiving. I was thinking around $700 budget for one. It would mainly be for movies, however I would like it for music as well...ranging from classic rock to techno. I would appreciate any suggestions and looking forward to learning a lot.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    For speaker placement etc. it is always good to give a room layout and/or pictures so people can see what you are working with and make sensible suggestions.
    On the sub front there is no need to match the sub to the other speakers hence you can buy any make of sub. B&W are not known for making good value for money subs hence going to a dedicated sub manufacturer will give you a better sub for the money. If you were in the UK then I would suggest BK Electronics or XTZ as 2 companies to look at. Not sure about the US market but SVS could be worth a look.

3. silver1386

silver1386
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PSM1 Thank you for you time and suggestions. I'm glad to hear about not having to match the sub. I was actually looking at some of the SVS, so I'll read up on the reviews. I didn't realize I was on the UK forum. I'll get some specs for my room and head over there. Thanks again.