Suggestions for a replacement amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by stretcher, Aug 11, 2002.

1. stretcher

stretcher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks - I wonder if anyone might have some advice or thoughts on an amplifier upgrade/replacement.

My current system comprises the following Ruark speakers, which I am very happy with and don't intend to change:

Fronts - Prologue One (pair)
    Centre - Dialogue One
    Rear - Epilogue One (pair)
    Sub - Log-Rhythm

Just for interest, my TV is a recently acquired Loewe Aconda 9381 (2500 chassis), and the DVD player is a Techtronics modified Pioneer DV-717.

The previous amp was a Yammy DSP A2 which has now been sold, but I am having trouble on deciding about a 6.1 EX , prologic II etc upgrade. My budget is about £750 to £850.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks

:)

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My advice (the short version) is don't worry about 6.1 and try and get an ex-flagship Denon secondhand. Probably the best all round option for your money now.

If you can get an A1D like the one I just sold you'll be smiling for a long, long time.

A near-flagship 10SE just went on the classifieds here for £475 so one of them might be another option next time it appears. Again, a great amp.

I had a DSP-A2 also and the Denon was a noticeably more listenable thing. I found the A2 cold and 'lifeless', the Denon A1D is anything but.

HTH,
    Mike.

3. stretcher

stretcher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I must say that that wasn't an option I had considered, as the main reason the Yammy went was because I had particularly wanted to go down (or up) the 6.1 route!!

Is the 6.1 upgrade not really worth doing? One of the amps I had been considering was the new Sony which seems to have had good reviews. But a bit pointless to spend all that money if there isn't going to be a significant improvement?

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    I can't comment on 6.1 as I only have DD at home, but I will say that you HAVE to get PLII -- it is the mutts nuts! Really brings Sky and my old VHS collection to life!:cool: Those with 6.1/7.1 say it is a step up from DD too. Depends if you have the room to accomodate them..

5. stretcher

stretcher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had picked up that there was 7.1 around as well - is this a true 7.1 channel split or is it a simulation like the Yammy did?