Suggestions for a reasonably priced dvd recorder with upscaling

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davie765, Sep 5, 2007.

1. davie765

davie765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I have just taken ordered my first HDTV (Sony Bravia 399 special deal from Woolworths). I have a fairly extensive DVD collection at the moment and I am looking for a decent reasonably priced DVD player with good upscaling capabilities.

However I have also have a wife and several kids who make heavy use of our current DVD recorder which coincidentally is in the process of making the last strides towards the great DVD graveyard in the sky.

Can anyone out there recommend a decent DVD recorder with good upscaling so I can kill two birds with one stone. :)

2. fredtheted

fredtheted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As you want to kill 2 birds with one stone and you have a Sony HDTV. why not get the Sony 870 dvd/hdd recorder, which also upscales.
    You can get one of these from www.prcdirect.co.uk for £202.00 inc free multiregion.

3. davie765

davie765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, isn't that sony 870 the recorder that loads of people on the forums are having recording problems with ?.

4. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    It is but it is no big deal. All you need to do is setup the recordings manually until there is a fix.

David

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,097
    Yes - but you have to put these things into perspective.

These are complex machines that do many tasks. There are very few machines that are perfect... and having one or two small issues does not render those machines useless.
    They tend to be niggles ... and this is where people voice them.

All the quality makers have machines that have problems... so unless they are very serious or it concerns a problem that would be very specific to your use, you can ignore it mostly.

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I agree with the general statement - no model is perfect, you need to judge if the issues are important to you or not.

I'm in the market to get a DVD/HDD recorder for my in-laws, and to me the 870 EPG is a big issue. I want it to be as easy for them to use as possible, and setting timers via the EPG is easy. More than that, if I have to explain to them not to use the EPG but do it manually, that itself adds complexity. if they forget and use the EPG they may miss recordings. Then later when a fix is available they may have to send it off to get it corrected (it's not clear yet if there will be a over-the-air update).

If I was buying for myself, I'd be less concerned... with my current DVD/HDD recorder setting timers manually is the only option.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,311
    You do know, don't you, that your TV has a perfectly capable scaler inside. Results you get from a player with it's own scaler may not be as radically different as you might expect.

The first thing you should do is ensure your existing player and your TV are talking RGB to one another. That means ALL of:

- use a fully wired SCART cable (most are - yes even many "freebie" ones - but do check)
    - set the DVD player to output RGB (usually a menu item) and use whichever socket will do so
    - ensure you're using an RGB able input on the TV, and, if necessary, set the TV to this mode (most detect it automatically, but do check)

Failure of any one of these steps means you will still get a signal, but of the second-worst possible signal type - composite. You should double check by changing the source back and forth between composite (aka video, aka CVBS) and RGB. If you see no difference, then you're not getting RGB and something is wrong/missing.

Now, once you've done that, you should enter your TV's menu and disable or set to the "null" value, any noise reduction and sharpness enhancement features. You may also need to calibrate brightness and contrast.

Doing the above will wrest the best out of what you have at the moment. You may well find that simply buying an "upscaling" player won't offer much more.

If you really want to do more, then a standalone scaler/deinterlacer may well work some miracles; but these cost more than your TV did.