Suggestions for a new setup needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kenadauk, Jan 22, 2008.

1. kenadauk

kenadauk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am looking for a surround setup within a budget of £500, although obviosuly less is OK. I have a 32" Samsung R87, and Xbox 360 elite and am planning either a HTPC with Bluray and HDDVD, with HDMI/DVI and optical out or a PS3 (or both), and as such need a surround sound system. I also have a V box, but am upgrading to V+ soon, so I would also need to bear than in mind. I dont mind an all in one setup, or an amp and speakers package, but it would be desirable if there were 3/4 hdmi inputs to the amp, but this seems rare to find!

Thanks

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Sony 910 amp and Jamo A102 HCS5 or Mordaunt Short Premiere speaker packages seem to be getting the nod. Once you've added a few cables and so on, that should be just under budget would be about the cheapest future proof setup available at that price.

3. kenadauk

kenadauk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers dave. anyone know of any all in ones that have hdmi in (x2) and hdmi out - hd audio would be good as well, if possible

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I haven't heard of any all-in-ones with HD audio decoding capability yet but I would imagine that the bluray partners (Sony, Pioneer etc) would be the first to bring them out. The Sony HT-SF2000 Sony may be the first all-in-one unit to be able to accept LPCM HD audio via HDMI using a suitable player. There is a lengthy thread on it in the all-in-one forum here