1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for a new amp for £1,000 please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Zefram, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Zefram

Zefram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My old NVA A35 my be on its last legs, its done me wll over the last decade - its nice, simple and clean and thats just the sound. I ahve about £1k on a new intergrated amp (would love pre etc but just can't afford it :-( ) anyway I have a Musical Fidelity A3 CD player (which I got for a very resonal price) and Ruick (sp) Sabre speakers. I listen to anything excpet C&W so I would be looking for a good all round amp.

2. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    If you shop about you should be able to pick up a Musical Fidelity 3 series pre/power (predecessor to the current 3.2's) for 1000.00 with relative ease if MF is your bag, otherwise the current MF 3.2 integrated is about for around 900-1000.00.

Steve.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  4. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Definatley give the musical fidelity a3.2 intergrated a demo. They are excellent sounding amps. Build quality its tops to:). Shame about the remotes they supply though. Ive seen better from an all in one £60 aiwa system:rolleyes:

5. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    With £1K you have quite a choice including Pre/Pwr.

A3 pre/pwr and A3.2 integrated would be top of my list.

I would also listen to Roksan Caspian / Arcam A85 / Arcam FMJ32 and Cyrus 8 to name a few, you can add power amps to these later.

Also Cyrus aCA7.5 / Smartpower would be in range and very upgradeable, Rega Cursa / Maia is a good pre/pwr with a different sound to MF but still very enjoyable.

Gus

6. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also in the market for a new stereo amp with a similar budget to yours, I've been tempted by the Arcam FMJ35 if you can stretch your budget roughly an extra £100. This is a 5 star amp, very much liked by the HIFI press.

7. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi Zefram,

Hate to be boring, but I'll add another thumb up to the A3.2 integrated. How these things manage to sound so good for the money I don't know. I used an Audiolab 8000A for about 9 years, but there is no doubt the A3.2 just blew it away.

Depending on how long you think you can keep your NVA going, I've heard Incatech are re launching the Claymore at this years HFN show at Heathrow with a re designed circuit board and radically improved cosmetics. It is supposed to sell for under £1K, so it may well be worth checking out before you committ to a purchase.

Best wishes,

Dave

8. Zefram

Zefram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Listened to a few amps last week, Roksan Kandy, Aracam A85 and A3.2 - which was just "O my god" going to have to save the pennies