Suggestions for a good INTERLACED player

KraGorn

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Plenty of research material round here when hunting for progressive scan players, but if I were to be wanting a great player to feed interlaced output to a display or scaler there's less material to work on.

One could presume a great progressive scanner would also make a great interlaced player, however there could be some players great at interlacing but naff at de-interlacing, which in this case wouldn't be an issue.

Looking for 'universal' ability and obviously multi-region .. so Denons don't seem to fit due to apparent reliability problems with MR mods.

Cheers

So, not a decent interlaced player in existence. ;)

What budget are you proposing?

Originally posted by KraGorn

Looking for 'universal' ability and obviously multi-region .. so Denons don't seem to fit due to apparent reliability problems with MR mods.

Cheers

I think you will find a few unhappy people have overblown this - a quick search will turn up problems but most of these are of the "I heard that blah blah". The Denon 2200 is jumping off the shelves of dealers (most of them get modified for MR prior to collection). I haven't heard of many problems with this machine. I have one and it's great and produces wonderful pictures in interlaced mode.

A pioneer 656 is good (not as good as the Denon) & is a better bet than the 565 if you don't want PS. The good old 757 will also produce great results in interlaced mode & seems to be cheap in some places (if you can get it). The new Pioneers seem a bit expensive to me (the 668 was definitely inferior to the 2200 in my setup),

Don't get too excited about Leconcepts, they have been saying that the Toshiba 900s have been coming in since before Xmas, I cancelled my order after waiting 5 weeks. Every week I phoned up they said "next week". Then I bought one of the hopeless Denons. No probs so far

Originally posted by Pollywoggle
What budget are you proposing?
Good question, I should have indicated .. £500 or thereabouts I think for a non-prog player + SACD/DVD-A, I'm afraid I just can't believe all that for <£200 is a credible proposition in spite of what Pioneer suggest. ;)

As Cool-hand recommended, the Toshiba SD900e is a stunning player. It also does DVD-A, but not SACD. If you can get one from LEConcepts (or wherever else) it should cost you about £500 or keep an eye on the s/h forum as they do crop up from time to time.

Mark.

The Tosh does have some attractions .. LEconcepts don't, IYSWIM ;) .. but I'm a bit loath to spend this amount of money on a player which only handles one of the two multi-channel 'standards', knowing my luck sod's law says the 'other one' will be the winner in the battle. :D

It's actually a shame Denons seem so problemematic .. I know the 'only a few have problems and they're the ones who post on here' concept, but there are too many to put it down to the occasional glitch it seems to me.

If you plan on using a PJ than steer clear of the SD900. as its has one form of the cue bug thats plain awfull on the big screen.
any red light or bright red will break up into nice streaks for you.
not so noticeable on a 42ins plasma but on a 6ft screen YUK!!

its there on the 9500e as well but a little tamed

:eek: ... okay, I'll avoid it :) .. have a 92" 16:9 screen.

Thanks for the warning. I know you're an A11 fan, nice machine for the well-off. :D

I like the A11 but it aint perfect, needs a bit of firmware update to sought a couple of issues. then it will be dam well near perfect.

no problems with the MR update. plays everything no problem.
nice to enjoy films without noticeing the layer change. another thing the tosh`s are not to good at. nice long pause there.

If you want a good interlaced player get the pioneer 868i

Actually, in spite of our little discussion in another thread about Momitsus in which I expressed disdain for the A11 I've actually come to understand I think why those who can afford one go for them .. in spite of the problems connecting to some new HDCP projectors, the quality of their reproduction and build is clearly damned impressive.

Just wish I could feel £1500 on a DVD player isn't just over-kill. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom