Suggestions for a door / covering for a square archway?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Talkiet, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Talkiet

Talkiet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys - I know an archway shouldn't be square, and I know the room shouldn't be this messy - but let's call it a before pic :)

I have the front of the room planned (floating wall, large floating Rimu cabinet - already made and waiting), but I am stuck for good ideas on how to provide some sort of door for the obvious rectangular entranceway to the lounge (to become more HT friendly shortly).

The gap is 2170mm wide (and has 1500 and 2300mm walls each side of it) and is 2020mm high. The first photo exaggerates the sizes becuase of the ultra-wide angle - the measurements are right. The second phot is more head on and looks closer to the distances specified.

I'd prefer not to get structural, or even have to build a matching wall and just put a door in - I'd like to retain the open feeling most of the time.

I have considered simply putting a curtain up, but for some reasn I don't like the idea. At the moment I am considering a very simple pair of sliding doors hung on the inside of the room - but I'd love to get any other ideas.

I've not attempted much in the way of renovations before but this forum has inspired me and the floating rimu cabinet looks great (under a dustcloth in the garage at the moment)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers - Neil G
    New Zealand

2. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    If you have no issue with sounds transmission i.e. don't want to stop the noise - have you thought of vertical blinds? I use these for my patio doors (about the same width as your opening on the photo...) they work well... just a thought?

3. 27neth

27neth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294

Attached Files:

4. Talkiet

Talkiet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the thoughts so far.. I know the stud wall plus hidden sliding doors is the best way to do it, but it would entail repainting the whole room... I guess I could be up for that but I was hoping for a magical solution that didn't involve redoing all the walls :)

The vertical blinds I hadn't thought of - and I don't really need sound proofing of any level, but they don't really appeal.

The other thing I was thinking of was a three panel slider inside the gap on 3 tracks so that when fully open the gap is 2/3 open... I haven't fully checked out the costs of that or if I can get DIY components for it or would have to have it custom made...

But all suggestions welcome - I may not take any one in particular, but it's giving me more ideas :)

Here's what I am hoping the front of the room will look like

[​IMG]

And I have already made the floating unit. It's been built from laminated 80*40 sections of Rimu.

Since the photo below it's had 3 applications of Danish oil and is looking nice.

[​IMG]

Cheers - Neil G

Cheers - N

5. Dingario

Dingario
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  6. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,215
    If it was me I would go with double sliding bookshelfs on the wall outside the HC room.
    Would imo look quite nice when closed.

7. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
  8. Talkiet

Talkiet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah-ha... I hadn't thought of this option, but now I am :)

Cheers - N

9. Talkiet

Talkiet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, you're right - it's a bit cheeky of me not to provide this...

In a perfect world I'd like to keep costs down to under $400 (NZD) or so. I know this likely eliminates any commercial made to measure solution so I do have the option in the back of my mind if I can't find a cheap option that I will spend a decent amount of money on it and do the whole wall.

At the moment, the trifold doors are looking attractive - while this would obviously stick proud from the wall at the end they open to, I could do with a new bookcase on each side of the wall (in and out of the room) to provide a flat surface to hide the opened trifold door.

Cheers - N