• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Suggestions for a Compact Digital Camera

waverbridge

Standard Member
On holiday our camera broke and I have decided to buy a new one, the old one actually belonged to my Mrs and I have decided to upgrade a little.

I have a very nice but now redundant Canon SLR (film) and I know I don't want something so bulky.

This new camera is likely to be for holidays, family occasions, photographing things when walking the dogs and other point and shoot types of things. I like the features of the SLR but not the size.

I have been thinking about a Canon G10 which looks good, but is it £80-£100 better than the G9?

I also liked the look of some of the higher end Canon IXUS stuff (like the IS 970) but I even like the look of the IXUS 85 IS.

A bloke in the camera shop recommended a Panasonic TZ5 so I am now a little confused.

It would be nice to get the camera in my jeans pocket (the G10 is pushing it I suspect) and picture quality is important to me for sure.

Maybe it's none of the above so if anybody has any ideas I would very much appreciate any advice or pointers

Thanks

Andy

Rasuphas

I was in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago as my missus hates using the DSLR.

After (very) much research I was torn between the Canon SX110 and the TZ5. Photo wise, there's supposedly not much between the 2.The TZ5 has proper wide angle but the Canon is supposedly slightly better at zooming. One other thing to note is that the TZ5 has no manual controlls. Everything must be done from pre-sets. I must have bored the poor bloke in Jessops to tears, but in the end I decided on the TZ5 simply because it looks better and feels sturdier in the hand. The Canon feels slightly cheap.

My wife absolutely loves the camera and never lets it out of her sight. This means that I can't properly verify end results simply because I'm not allowed to have a play with it.

the_sanguine

I was going to start a similar thread. Maybe best to post what I was going to here and join in if that's OK?

I need to get a new compact camera. I did look around before Christmas ans was attracted to the Panny TZ5.

I'm not a photographer and really am only looking for good quality photos out of the box. I only really want family/holiday/ebay pics. Nice zoom is useful but I don't really need lots of technical stuff. Money isn't an issue but I don't want to spend money I don't need to to impress people with lots of features I wouldn't use.

Any advice?

jamiesdad

Does anyone have any opinion of the Samsung nv 100 hd

It looks to be a good small pocketable camera so wondered what the discerning people on here thought:D

Cheers

the_sanguine

The TZ5 is in short supply now, apparently as the TZ7 is coming out with HD video on it. I wonder if it's worth waiting? Although I think the price will be about £300

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom