Question Suggestions for a 4K HDMI switcher: 1 in 2 out

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by AbsoluteZero93, Sep 26, 2017.

1. AbsoluteZero93

AbsoluteZero93
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm looking for a remote controlled HDMI switcher with at least the following specs:
    • 1 HDMI input
    • 2 HDMI outputs
    • Latest HDMI version (so it supports 4k HDR)
    • IR/bluetooth controlled
    The reason is that I have a home cinema system that I use for everything (TV, films, PS4, listening to music, etc.). The problem comes when I want to listen to music while doing another activity on the TV (like playing on the PS4). I haven't figured out a way for the receiver to send the video from the PS4 to the TV while playing audio from the AUX cable (if anyone knows how to do this I shall be eternally grateful!!).

For reference, my receiver is a Pioneer VSX-930.

Any suggestions or help will be highly appreciated!!

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    On the AVR you would normally 'assign' the Coaxial Input to whichever HDMI Source Input you wish to use with a different audio Source.

Once assigned you can connect the audio Source to the Coaxial Input and follow the Instructions on Pg73 to Toggle the audio you hear through the Main Speakers between HDMI/Digital/Analog when viewing the HDMI Source.

Joe

Choosing the input signal

On this receiver, it is possible to switch the input signals for the different inputs as described below.

• ! This receiver can only play back Dolby Digital, PCM (32 kHz to 192 kHz) and DTS (including DTS 96/24) digital

signal formats. The compatible signals via the HDMI terminals are: Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM (32 kHz to 192

kHz), Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-EXPRESS, DTS-HD Master Audio and SACD.
    • ! You may get digital noise when an LD, CD, DVD or BD player compatible with DTS is playing an analog signal.

To prevent noise, make the proper digital connections (page 26) and set the signal input to DIGITAL.
    • ! Some DVD players don’t output DTS signals. For more details, refer to the instruction manual supplied with

your DVD player.
    1 Press MAIN RECEIVER to switch the remote control to the receiver operation mode, and then press AUDIO P..

1. 2 Use i/j to select ‘SIGSEL’.
    2. 3 Use k/l to select the input signal corresponding to the source component.
    Each press cycles through the options as follows:

• ! AUTO–Thereceiverselectsthefirstavailablesignalinthefollowingorder:HDMI;DIGITAL;ANALOG.
    • ! ANALOG–Selectsananalogsignal.
    • ! DIGITAL–Selectanopticalorcoaxialdigitalinputsignal.‘DIGITL’isdisplayedonthefrontpaneldisplay.
    • ! HDMI–SelectsanHDMIsignal.

— When the HDMI audio output parameter is set to THROUGH, the sound will be heard through your TV, not from this receiver.

When set to DIGITAL, HDMI or AUTO (only selected DIGITAL or HDMI), the indicators light according to the signal being decoded (see Display on page 15).

3. AbsoluteZero93

AbsoluteZero93
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

Thank you for the info.

I have my AUX connected to a left/right analog input. It does not appear that I can assign the analog input to any of the HDMI inputs, only the "CD" input (which is what I have it assigned to).

I cannot find a cable that is 3.5mm to a single coaxial, they are all double coaxial. Does this exist? If so, can you send me a link?

Just to clarify, I'd like to be able to play music on its own (without any other devices in use), as well as be able to play music while using another device (eg. ps4). Your method appears to be the right way to go about it, however I am stumped with the single coaxial to 3.5mm problem.

4. AbsoluteZero93

AbsoluteZero93
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The receiver won't let me assign the analog input to any of the HDMI inputs. However, when I switch the HDMI input to the PS4 and go into the audio parameter settings, as you have said above, I can change the SIGSEL to 'analog'. I thought this might be the answer, however I do not get any sound from the analog inputs. Is there something I'm missing?

5. AbsoluteZero93

AbsoluteZero93
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, so it looks like only the TV and CD inputs can have "analog" assigned to them. So it's back to my original question, does a coaxial to 3.5mm cable exist?

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    PG 30 discuss using Analog with the Sat/CBL HDMI Input.

Joe

PS RCA (Coaxial Digital Audio) to 3.5mm (Analog Audi) will require a DAC not a cable.

7. AbsoluteZero93

AbsoluteZero93
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, in the manual it says that analog can only be assigned to TV and CD inputs, so I don't think it's possible. So the only way to achieve what I want is to get a phono to digital converter? There's no other way?

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    See that now - seems to be only the VSX-830 would have you covered.

If you only have the 2RCA Analog Out on the Source you will require an ADC (Analog to Digital) Converter or assuming you are streaming the Music go for a New streamer with Optical/Coaxial Out.

Joe

9. AbsoluteZero93

AbsoluteZero93
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your help. Could you recommend a half-decent analog-to-digital converter?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017