1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions: Computer Speaker Setup, Budget 160£ - 220£

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Veniogenesis, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Veniogenesis

Veniogenesis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if anyone could suggest me a setup for my computer. Be it just regular computer speakers or some sort of setup that interfaces with bookshelf speakers. :D Although I'm rather experienced with headphones, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to speakers.

I would like to spend around $300 USD (160£), or at most $400 USD (220£), for setup. :D Of course, if I don't need to spend that much to get what I want, that's even better.

Type of sound that I like:
    Very tight if possible, fast, good extension both low and high, nice soundstage. Extreme bass is not required.

What I want to do:
    Enjoy music.
    Movies and games are not important.

Music types:
    - JPop / JRock
    - Trance / Ambiance / Trance+Vocals
    - Instrumental Rock (Apocalyptica)
    - Thematic Choir and Gothic (Lord of the Rings, Gladiator, The Patriot, Batman Begins, etc.)
    - Industrial (Rammstein)
    - Rock and other stuff: Evanescence, Linkin Park style stuff

Source:
    Emu1212m

Thanks soooooo much everyone!

Cheers,
    Venio

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Generaly its going to be difficult to get bookshelf speekers with a good extension to the bassier regions.

I have seen some reviews in the hi fi press praising some makes of surround speakers for the pc as cheap viable alteratives to a 'real' setup, but usualy advised for smaller rooms. I'm not aware of any that are recomended for music though.
    Also you will need to factor an amp into your budget if your going with normal bookshelf, and although active monitors may be an option i'm not aware of any that will be around that sort of price.

Actualy that was no help at all, tell us what you've had your eye on and we may be able to steer you towards some of the better products.

3. Veniogenesis

Veniogenesis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe, thanks for helping. :)

I'm not really interested in surround sound, but it could never hurt. I'm not sure. Haha. :D

Also, I guess I can give up on the extension. I guess I could always trade extension for "musicality". :rotfl:

I did just a little bit of looking around on several forums, and I heard a few good things about the following:

Computer speakers:
    Altec Lansing MX5021
    Altec Lansing FX6021
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1

More traditional:
    Swan M200
    Axiom M3Ti
    Paradigm Atom
    Paradigm Titan

Unfortunately, these are actually on the lower side of my budget. I haven't come across many speakers that stay close to my budget without going overboard.

I don't know much more. :suicide:

Thanks!

4. petercom

petercom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you might be better looking at PRO active speakers like the Tannoy Reveal Active which you should be able to pick up for £270. Take a listen before you buy, though, because some PRO speakers can sound rather harsh - IMO the Tannoys are probably the smoothest and most inoffensive in this price range.