1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions anyone?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Finty, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Finty

Finty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Marantz 4100 OSE - my first step into Home Cinema - and now want to complete a HC system.

Unfortunately I live miles from a decent HiFi dealership so haven't had a chance to audition further equipment, but I've been impressed by the comments & reviews of the KEF 2005 eggs. They seem perfect, especially considering the size of my flat!

However, things aren't so clear-cut when it comes to amps. Before I make a long journey with my hard-earned readies, I need some suggestions for amps to audition. Budget for amp & speakers is about 1600-1800 stg. So which amp suits the Marantz /KEF combination? Denon 2802? 3802? Marantz? Yamaha? Others? SHould I even be considering the KEFs?

Any advice out there?

Cheers
    ;)

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Hi

Of the amps you´ve mentioned, i´d go for the Denon 3802.
    All the latest formats, sounds bloody good for both music & movies and will go well with the Kef´s.

The Denon´s give you a decent setup menu as well for Delay times, channel levels etc. Its one of the reasons i changed from Yamaha stuff.

IMHO the Denon´s sound better than the Yamaha´s, thats my personal opinion, others may disagree though!!

cheers

3. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree.Get the Denon.
    I have a Denon avc11-sr(similar to the 3802)running with seven Kef eggs,and I'm pleased with the sound.

4. Finty

Finty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jase - and Simon! Denon it is then. If the bank manager gives me loads of dosh I'll go for the 3802. If he won't, would the 2802 match the Marantz and KEFs?

Thanks again

F

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    You should be able to pick up the 3802 for around 600 quid.

www.unbeatable.co.uk have it for around that.

The 2802 is good but not as good as the 3802, the 2802 has less features etc

Its worth the extra dosh, tap the bank manager for more!!!

cheers

6. Finty

Finty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jase - I'll be in to tap the bank manager early next week. I think I'll bring a plumber pal o' mine...

Unbeatable.co.uk have great prices - hundereds of squids cheaper than Ireland!! Thanks for that link. I await a quote on their delivery charges . . .

All the best

Finty

7. ij

ij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also have a look at http://www.hifijunkies.co.uk.
    Unbeatable price £633.96 + £34 = 667.96
    HiFi Junkies £640 including 3 year warranty

Difference enough for a couple of DVDs - if you are interested in an extended warranty.

HOWEVER I've been trying to phone hifijunkies all day, and the line has been engaged. There's also a lot of postive messages about hifijunkies in this forum, and I'd trust that more than my slightly bad one. (They are still getting my order - if I get through).

And I've used unbeatable before, and they've been pretty good - but I do recommend you take the name of the agent if you need to speak to them on the phone - they do seem to suffer from corporate amnesia between calls.

8. Finty

Finty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sound! - thanks for that.

Nice looking site that Hifijunkie - and good prices too. Shame they don't do the KEF 2005's.
    Still, if I use them I'll have loads of extra dosh to splash about in www.play247.com

If you haven't been there, check it out - good site for DVD's. Great special offers!

Cheers

F