• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Suggestions and advice on how decorate my daughters room

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
At the moment it's a dumping ground which she also sleeps in. She is 18 months next week and I'd like to get it decorated around Xmas to something which will be nice and comfortable for her for the next few years.

As you can see it's far from ideal at moment
It is a mess / dumping ground at moment as besides sleeping she never in there.

Single bed in there ready for when she needs it. That will stay. It's always useful when I work strange shifts and the wife can go in there so I don't wake house up when home at 3 in the morning.

The morecambe and wise quote is also staying

But just need to know about colour schemes etc

ImageUploadedByAVForums1445598626.739489.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1445598635.808875.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1445598643.951520.jpg

sergiup

Distinguished Member
I'm not affiliated in any way and I'm not saying it's the best solution, but have you heard of Houzz? It's a website, with apps available for Android etc as well; you can get a fair few ideas from there, colours, decorations, etc.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Lol.
I've had a tough enough time persuading the wife to let me have another wall decal saying "I am a Jedi, like my father before me" :)

DIYlady

Distinguished Member
I'd start off with thinking about storage to avoid the dumping ground look :)
The older your daughter gets the greater the clobber quantity.

Ideally you need to coordinate the furniture. One way is to replace stuff, but if you want to keep costs down then, paint old furniture to match in with any new stuff. (Satin paints can give a nice finish but if you are less expert, use Matt emulsion and then finish with a couple of coats of a Matt/silk varnish; Matt is more forgiving than gloss)

You have said you want to keep the Morecombe and Wise quote. This is decorated with blue and yellow, which would make a nice colour scheme, but you have a bright pink shelf, pink and white curtain and red chair. If the red chair and curtains are staying then you will need to work with these as the are strong colours in which case I'd go for a red, pink and white scheme)

So, maybe:
Remove border
Frame the quote in a red frame stuck to the wall (maybe paint out the sun and clouds)
Paint walls white
Hang big picture of your daughter smiling (or a collage of smaller photos) next to quote framed in pink
Other pictures around the room can be framed with pink and red frames
Paint furniture in reds and pinks
Note. By the time she is 7/8 she will hate pink but it will need redecorating by then in any case

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
The chair will be first thing to go, was there just as a nursing chair and never really used
The wardrobe was same colour as rest of furniture, then wife in infinite wisdom decided to paint it ?!?

Trying picture what you say about framing the quote, that sounds a nice idea, I guess would allow me to them paint around it.

DIYlady

Distinguished Member
The chair will be first thing to go, was there just as a nursing chair and never really used
The wardrobe was same colour as rest of furniture, then wife in infinite wisdom decided to paint it ?!?

Trying picture what you say about framing the quote, that sounds a nice idea, I guess would allow me to them paint around it.
Which is exactly why I suggested the frame :)

The wardrobe looks like it might be a pale green and if this is recently painted then you could work with this and paint the drawers to match and then pick out the pink from the curtains for high lights, eg have pink knobs. Pale pink and pale green work well together

Other things you could consider
Glitter/matallic effect paint to add a little glamour/fairytale princess. Don't overdo this though!
An area of the wall painted with blackboard paint with a shelf for chalk

An inexpensive toy storage idea is to cut out large circles of fabric to match the colour scheme, hem the edge and thread cord through, add a hook to the edge. Chuck the toys into the middle of the circle pull on the cord and you have a bag to hang on a hook. When it's time to play again just spread bag back into a circle. Good for this like Lego

Whichever way you go
- sort out the storage
- limit your decor to a couple of colours to unify everything

Also think about lighting; you don't need to go mad but if you have say a central pendant light then look for a shade that throws up an interesting pattern to the ceiling.

You could also consider creating a little boxed in column to take a series of mini coloured LEDs (the sort of mini ones that get embedded into decking).

There is so much you could do!

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Which is exactly why I suggested the frame :)

The wardrobe looks like it might be a pale green and if this is recently painted then you could work with this and paint the drawers to match and then pick out the pink from the curtains for high lights, eg have pink knobs. Pale pink and pale green work well together

Other things you could consider
Glitter/matallic effect paint to add a little glamour/fairytale princess. Don't overdo this though!
An area of the wall painted with blackboard paint with a shelf for chalk

An inexpensive toy storage idea is to cut out large circles of fabric to match the colour scheme, hem the edge and thread cord through, add a hook to the edge. Chuck the toys into the middle of the circle pull on the cord and you have a bag to hang on a hook. When it's time to play again just spread bag back into a circle. Good for this like Lego

Whichever way you go
- sort out the storage
- limit your decor to a couple of colours to unify everything

Also think about lighting; you don't need to go mad but if you have say a central pendant light then look for a shade that throws up an interesting pattern to the ceiling.

You could also consider creating a little boxed in column to take a series of mini coloured LEDs (the sort of mini ones that get embedded into decking).

There is so much you could do!

Cheers

Brilliant

Been and purchased some decorative skirting wood to use for the frame

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom