Suggestions: 32", 2xRGB scart, ntsc playback, simple nicam

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by simon3d, Dec 20, 2002.

1. simon3d

simon3d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went into a TV shop today and have definitely decided to go for a 32" instead of a 28", since there is more height in the picture with little difference in the width.

Anway, I'm looking for some suggestions:

Budget: 600 - 1,000 (although can be a little flexible)
    Tv Size: 32" Widescreen
    Picture: Good/Excellent quality; 100Hz , but query digital artifacts
    Scarts: 2xRGB scarts minimal (digibox + dvd); maybe some other svideo scarts/sockets
    NTSC playback for R1 dvds
    Sound: Nicam; nothing fancy looking to get amp/decoder in future

Most important thing is picture quality and 2 rgb scart inputs.

Regarding picture quality: I noticed the flickering today, most visible for static text, ie channel logos, and studio a & studio b in news programs. So 100Hz seems necessary in this regard.

100Hz breakdown as I understand it:

Analogue 100Hz: repeat both frames twice within each second, so no artifacts, but normal resolution.

Digital 100Hz: there are various variants of these, with increased pixel resolution via interpolation etc.
    -- Problems, fast action scenes, lots of artifacts, and comet trails

Comments & clarities on these technologies would be useful, especially on artifacts and/or if flicker problems still existi with these digi versions.

I'm looking to get the TV late Jan/early feb, but will wait further if better digi processing, no artifacts tv is coming out.

Thanks in advance for everyones advice.

Simon

2. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Simon,

Can't answer your technical questions i'm afraid but I can reccomend the Sony32fx66 I have had it for a couple of weeks now and I really like it. Picture quality is stunning and it looks great to. I had the Philips 32pw9527 and sent it back as it had too many defects black bars shimmering etc so I would steer clear of this one as you sound like me, a bit of a fussy bloke and the Philps will send you up the wall!