Suggestion on a postcard..........

NeilH

Established Member
Reaction score
Am looking to complete my setup and require speakers to finish the job. They need to be capable of reproducing both AV and 2 channel stereo.

Have already tried B&W's CDM NT range - very weak bass IMO.

Also tried various Linn models which didn't suit.

Am demo'ing Sonus Faber this week and have been suggested M&K by Uncle Eric and Dynaudio by Urban T (both of which I will audition).

My budget is approx £4K - any other suggestions?

How about Kef´s Reference range?? New range is pricey though! The older range can be tracked down and are being discounted. Look out for the Ref 1, 2, 3, 4 (floorstanders), Centre speakers are the Model 100 and Reference 200. Velodyne subs are well worth having a look at too, check out the Power Buys Forum for those.

Definitely add another recommendation for the M&K´s as well.:)

Jase,

good idea about the Kef's.
Any idea of how pricey they are??

Neil.

Neil

The older Ref 1.2 were going for 800 odd quid a pair. The model 100 centre should be around 300 quid maybe less, the Ref 200 was originally 700 but around 500/550 is more realistic. If you shop around dealers you may get them cheaper if they want to make way for the newer versions (2000 for the standmounters, 1000 for the smaller centre!). I think that Unilet Sound & Vision had a sale a while back with Kef speakers being available.

Here´s their email address [email protected]
Tel 0208 942 9567 Based in Surrey.

Just checked their website and they still show them in the sale www.unilet.net

Don´t just check them though, have a ring round of other dealers.:)

Hi Neil,

With a bit of luck, I should have my M&Ks up and running by the weekend. S85 Fronts & center, 4 x SS150 THX surrounds.

Can't promise but will try to get them working prior to your visit.

Mind you, they will not be run in and may sound a bit bright.

Chips,

great stuff, here's hoping that they will be up and running.

Tried to call this afternoon by the way. I could hear you but you obviously couldn't hear me!
Will try again later to finalise the arrangements.

Neil.

Neil, you have PM.

If you're looking for quality speakers for hifi and home cinema, you owe it to yourself to demo something from ATC. I'm not sure what your budget is, or if you've already bought amplification, but I have a pair of Active 10's and they are simply stunning. The whole Concept 2 multichannel speaker setup (which uses the Active 10's as fronts and surrounds) costs something in the neighbourhood of £4,500, but it is WELL worth it!

If you can't stretch to that (or if you've already got an amp) check out the Concept 1 - a bit smaller (maybe a bit bass-light for you, but it includes a sub), but a lot cheaper while maintaining that ATC sound.

Only problem with ATC is that they don't have a lot of dealers - you might need to journey a bit to get to one... I think there was talk of ATC powerbuys but I don't know if this is still on the cards - might want to PM Spectre or Uncle Eric?

Cheers,

Dunc

Dunc,

just missed out on a 2nd hand ATC Compact 4 Active Speaker system.

I will mail Eric to see if he can lay his hands on a set.

Neil.

Yeah, I saw that - I was hoping to get the C4 sub, but somebody went for the whole system (lucky ba***rds! :D )

Let me know how you get on with Eric (and let him know you're not alone in your interest) - if he can get his hands on ATC gear for anything less than list price, then I'll definitely be up for something - maybe a C4 sub, maybe something else?

Cheers,

Dunc

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom