Suggestion for Wireless Speakers

disrael

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've just completed replacing old AV equipment. (Where to unload the older, perfectly functional, components is another issue). Things work nicely, but now I'm looking into getting some wireless speakers so I can have audio in other rooms or on the outside deck.

The receiver I have is a Marantz 5015 and I've already set it up on the wireless network (I am streaming my iTunes library via Airplay).

Any suggestions on some speakers that would work well with this unit?

Thanks.

Hi

Are you hoping to wirelessly stream your music from your amplifier to your speakers, or direct to your speakers? Are you wanting to wire your speakers into the SR5015?

Generally speaking, if you're going down the active speaker route, they come with their own "hub" or controller to allow you to connect and stream different sources to them.

Just want to make sure i've not misunderstood anything :)

I am looking to push audio from the amp to the wireless speaker. Typically it would be music, but could be any audio. I might want to turn on the TV and listen to it in another (eg. listen to the local newscast whilst doing something else).

Thanks.

Got it.

So, I have done something with a customer before using Zone 2 for exactly what you're looking at.
We had to use an RCA - wireless transmitter however, as the amp doesn't have any functionality to stream zone 2 to a wireless speaker. You have to create that bit yourself...

So Zone 2 RCA - transmitter < wireless > receiver - RCA - Speaker

This is what we did :)

The SVS Wireless Audio Adapter does work for this!

I'll have to look at that. I was under the impression that because the receiver is already wifi enabled that it would be possible without external hardware.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm sort of a noob for this AV stuff. Thanks for your input.

I’m afraid your device is a wireless receiver - it connects to the network for streaming music services / Airplay and control only.

So all speakers need to be wired or using my method above, utilising the spare zone and rigging up a wireless solution.

If you're looking at wireless why are you not looking at the HEOS/Home range as your amp says its compatible with these wireless speakers. To me, it just seems like the obvious route then you can create a family of speakers where everyone who has a compatible device can take control when they want. Remember Denon/Marantz are from the same family of electronics and have been that way for more years than than many people realise

The receiver I have is a Marantz 5015 and I've already set it up on the wireless network (I am streaming my iTunes library via Airplay).

Unless you need to stream something from a CD player, turntable or an HDMI source directly attached to your Marantz, just buy some portable wireless speakers that support Airplay and you can use the same method you are using currently ie. streaming your iTunes library via Airplay, to stream to those too.

Something like a pair of Sonos wireless speakers, but lots of other Airplay supporting wireless speakers out there. For a budget option, say for a kitchen, these IKEA/Sonos (Airplay 2 supporting) speakers are a cheap option.

The Marantz doesn’t really come into the picture, unless you’re trying to use the (additional) wireless speakers as rear channels in a 5.1 setup or are trying to stream audio content from devices directly attached to it. It’s just another device you can stream to via Airplay. If your wireless speakers also have Airplay you’d just stream directly to them from your phone or laptop as well and bypass the Marantz entirely.

Edit: looks like the Denon HEOS range Shane linked to above is also Airplay 2 compatible, so you could continue to use iTunes via Airplay with them as you do currently. But they also come with the added bonus of supporting Marantz/Denon’s HEOS multi-room platform (one of many competing multi-room platforns). The main advantage of HEOS (as with most other multi room platforms) over Airplay is that you don’t need to have your phones audio tied up while streaming, as the streamer itself requests the streams directly, meaning you can take phone calls on your mobile while streaming. But if your using iTunes/Apple Music (as opposed to the HEOS app) currently and happy with it, my guess if you’ll probably prefer sticking with it - especially as it’s really simple to use Airplay 2 (at least on Apple devices) to handle multi-room playback. But easy enough to download the HEOS app and see if you prefer it over iTune/Airplay (using your Marantz) before buying any new speakers.

Last edited:
If you're looking at wireless why are you not looking at the HEOS/Home range as your amp says its compatible with these wireless speakers. To me, it just seems like the obvious route then you can create a family of speakers where everyone who has a compatible device can take control when they want. Remember Denon/Marantz are from the same family of electronics and have been that way for more years than than many people realise
Why am I not looking at that? Because I'm a noob who doesn't really know about them. :)

These actually look like a good solution for what I want to do, and as jamie notes, I can go through the receiver or use airplay. Probably having both options would be neat. Thanks for your input.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom