Suggestion for rear speakers

brendler

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm setting up a home cinema system at home at the moment and would like to get some suggestions as for rear speakers.

I've got a Pioneer VSX 322 receiver + 2 Mission 732 as front + 1 Mission 70ASE Subwoofer + no center.

At the moment I'm looking for a decent pair of rear speakers to complement this setup. Ideally I would like something I can use with a stand but wouldn't mind floor standing if not too expensive or cumbersome.

I wouldn't mind suggestions of old speakers that still produce good sound, like the front ones whose sound I find very good for my needs.

If you guys need more details, please let me know. I'm pretty new to all this.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks.

How big is your room and is their room to allow rears to be either wall mounted to either side of your listening position or maybe behind you? It is suggested that rear speakers be located higher than the front speakers in order to help disperse the audio associated with them. It is usually locate the surrounds at a height that would roughly equate to what your head height would be while standing. This isn't really achievable with either stands or floorstanding speakers. You can use standmount bookcase speakers or floorstanders, but it is only suggested you do so if you've a relatively large listening room that fascilitate the rears being locate well clear of the seating and listening area.

Yeah, I'd mount the surrounds on the rear wall rather than use stands or floorstanders.

The rear wall is roughly 2.5m away from the couch and there is a book case in there which doesn't show up in the picture. So yeah, thats not an option for me.

Still, I don't know what kind of speakers would suit my current set up.

Do you have any suggestions?

If not willing to accept what is the most appropriate solution then why ask the question?

Anyway, simply buy a matching pair of speakers from the same manufacturer and range as the speakers you are using at the front. What speakers do you have already?

I'd suugest standmounts as opposed to floorstanders. Floorstanders tend to be harder to locate and are far more fussy about their location when compared to smaller cabinets. You'll also not really benefit from any additional bass that would normally be associated with floorstanders. The additional low frequency handling capabilities associated with floorstanders will be negated by using the sub to deal with these frequencies.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom