1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion for low light shooting

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by andyh41, Oct 26, 2003.

1. andyh41

andyh41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    I currently own a JVC GRDVL9800 DV camcorder and whilst it shoots fantastic images outdoors/in good light it is very poor for inside footage. As I use it mostly for videoing the kids and family events, obviously a fair proportion of the footage is indoors. I have thought about getting a video light but the limited battery life, bulkiness and faff of attaching, etc puts me off. In your experience, what is your average mid price camcorder like at indoor shooting, be it in daytime or at night using normal domestic lighting? Thanks for reading. Andy.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    It is fairly well known on this forum that the vast majority of mid to low priced mini DV camcorders are very poor at filming in low light conditions. Even the more expensive models are less than good, but the further up the price range you go, the better they get :rolleyes: . Also the cheaper camcorders do tend to be smaller and therefore they will have a smaller lens which makes it worse at getting the light into the camcorder and on to the CCD.
    For indoor use you either need to pay a fortune, get an older Hi8 camcorder or use an external light.

Mark.

3. andyh41

andyh41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Mark. As you say, indoor shooting is never going to be brilliant without good additional lighting. I guess what i'm saying is that my JVC seems to be awful, and I found it hard to believe that this was the norm. I suppose I am also comparing my results to a HI8 cam which I borrowed before buying my own DVcam - as you commented, the low light images from this seem to be a lot better. You say that 'the vast majority' of mid priced DV cams are very poor in low light - which ones make a better stab than the rest? Maybe I just need to try a few, to see if they are subjectively better than what I am used to.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I've just done a quick search on this forum for 'Low Light' and a few people were saying that the Sony PC-105 or TRV-33 were ok in low light. Never used either, but it is a real world opinion from others on these forums.

Mark.