Question Suggestion for an A/V receiver with pre outs?

comir

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a dying Yamaha RX-v1900, which I bought hoping naively that it would also be a good Hifi amplifier. Which is not, of course. But I can use it with a stereo amplifier by bypassing it for the front channels using its pre outs. This works well.

Now that I need to replace it I won't spend as much money as I did with the RX-V1900. I just want it to do a decent 5.1 job with movies, video games (rarely) and multichannels SACD/DSD (even more rarely).
And of course it must have pre outs for the front speakers.
It would be also good of if it does not get outdated after a couple years by new video standards.

With the new 2017 models coming and the January sales I'm sure that I can find a good replacement for my Yamaha for a reasonable price. I haven't followed the market in a while so suggestions are welcome.

Cheers !
Franck (Bordeaux, Fr)

What's a 'reasonable price' to you? What speakers do you have? Are there any specific features other than pre-outs that are a must?

Reasonable would be below 500 €/$.
My speakers are Vision Acoustique (an excellent french brand that no longer exist) for the front and Kef for the 3 other channels + a Velodyne subwoofer.
DSD decoder would be nice.

I'm looking at the Denon avr-x2300 £400 in U.K. at the moment so within budget. looks like it covers all the bases - all hdmi ports are hdmi2.0,hdcp2.2, 4k upscaling, atmos and dts-x, HDR & wide colour gamut, reads your Network sources and high res audio formats, airplay.

I'm looking at the Denon avr-x2300 £400 in U.K. at the moment so within budget. looks like it covers all the bases - all hdmi ports are hdmi2.0,hdcp2.2, 4k upscaling, atmos and dts-x, HDR & wide colour gamut, reads your Network sources and high res audio formats, airplay.

Is it me, or does that AVR lack pre-outs?

I think the Denon 2300 does have stereo and subs pre-outs. It's not obvious because the stereo pre out is labelled Zone 2 but I think it's a pre-out.
I think I will choose between Denon avr-x2300, Marantz sr - 5011 and Yamaha-Rxv781. At the moment the cheapest in France is the Marantz but this may change next week with the sales.

I think the Denon 2300 does have stereo and subs pre-outs. It's not obvious because the stereo pre out is labelled Zone 2 but I think it's a pre-out.
I think I will choose between Denon avr-x2300, Marantz sr - 5011 and Yamaha-Rxv781. At the moment the cheapest in France is the Marantz but this may change next week with the sales.

Zone 2 pre outs are for use with a stereo amp powering seperate speakers in another room. The AVRX2300 has no pre outs apart from the sub pre outs associated with the speakers used in the main room. Zone 2 pre outs cannot be use in conjunction with an extenal amplifier powering the main room's speakers and will not convey audio being processed as part of the surround sound setup in the main room. You'd need pre outs dedicated to the channels associated with the main room speakers in order to use external amplification to power those speakers. All AV receivers include subwoofer pre outs these days.

CNET say Zone 2 on the Sony 1070 can be used as a pre-out for front speakers, does anyone really know if this correct

CNET say Zone 2 on the Sony 1070 can be used as a pre-out for front speakers, does anyone really know if this correct

No mention of this is made within the manual. As far as I can tell, the Zone 2 pre outs cannot be reassigned as front pre outs.

Any preference between the Marantz sr 5011 and the Yamaha Rx-v781 ? Or alternative suggestion ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom