Suggestion: 50+inch 120hz 1080 that's HTPC friendly?

sentinel41

Standard Member
Thinking of buying a new TV. With the distance from the screen that I would be sitting, a high 40's to mid 50's is ideal side wise. I would not get anything less then 120hz, but higher would be ok as long as the price isn't absurd. Full HD is of course a must, 1080i/p. I have a nice media computer and it seems to work well with full HD content, so I want to continue using it on the newer TV. Does anyone have any suggestions, specifically working with a media computer is a bonus. I know that some TV's can be really grumpy about working with computers. The computer has both HDMI and DVI out as well, so either of those is a suitable option. Price wise I have a little flexibility. I'm not looking for bleeding edge, but I am willing to pay more for something that is known to work well with a HTPC, has good picture quality and not much ghosting during action scenes.

Any suggestions are welcomed, thank you for any imput youc an provide.

Edit: LCD preferred, but plasma is good too.

Last edited:

boxrick

Something to bare in mind is if you plan on using 1080p as a desktop resolution and sit anything beyond 2 meters it is a right pain in the bum to actually be able to see anything because everything is too small... I always prefered my 720p set for HTPC usage...

I noticed this going to a 1080p set from 720p set. Also adjusting the DPI helps but not *everything* is changed.... Also your desktop will still only run at 50/60hz even with 100hz / 120hz LCD because they are not truely running at that refresh rate. :thumbsdow

If you want the best 50" Set check out the Pioneer PDPLX5090.

£1700 ish is average price... if you want slightly better blacks and a seperate media box

check out pioneer KRP500A

Last edited by a moderator:

sentinel41

Standard Member
Something to bare in mind is if you plan on using 1080p as a desktop resolution and sit anything beyond 2 meters it is a right pain in the bum to actually be able to see anything because everything is too small... I always prefered my 720p set for HTPC usage...

I noticed this going to a 1080p set from 720p set. Also adjusting the DPI helps but not *everything* is changed.... Also your desktop will still only run at 50/60hz even with 100hz / 120hz LCD because they are not truely running at that refresh rate. :thumbsdow
The distance issue is not a problem because I use a Media Center setup. Not the MS one, but a one that works very well for how I have it setup. Also, the 120hz is more for my other goodies, not too worried about it for the HTPC.

sentinel41

Standard Member
If you want the best 50" Set check out the Pioneer PDPLX5090.

£1700 ish is average price... if you want slightly better blacks and a seperate media box

check out pioneer KRP500A
I live in the US also, I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes, but some of the TV's you're suggesting I don't think I can normally get.

boxrick

The set i mention above has both of these... 120hz /100hz does make motion seem rather "fake" and sped up like it was recorded with a personal Video Recorder and not a necessity imho.

I live in the US also, I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes, but some of the TV's you're suggesting I don't think I can normally get.
I believe this is the equivalent US set.

Pioneer USA - Pioneer TVs

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom