1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggested Speaker Seat-up for HTPC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by swin70, Mar 30, 2004.

1. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,

Can anyone suggest a fairly decent yet cheapish speaker setup directly from an HTPC?

I know the best way to do this is to pipe digital out to and AV reciever but after spending most of my dosh on the PC components I cannot afford a decent amp yet. This will come but at a later date. For the time being I will have to make do with what is avalibale to me.

I do have 5.1 channel and digital output capaibility on the PC itself.

Many thanks.

Chris

2. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Adendum,

What I mean by having 5.1 sound is that there are standard 3.5mm jack plugs for the tradiditonal Front/Left/Right, Rear/Left/Right, and Centre speakers directly from the PC's soundcard. Plus there is a SPDIF output. There is no analogue 5.1 sound out thoungh.

Chris

3. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  4. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Unbelievable. I was set to spend maybe £100-£150 on a high class PC sound system but had realistically set my Reciever/Speaker budget at around £700+ (the later of which I can't afford.

I didn;t even consider you could get such a set up this cheap.

Many thanks

Chris

PS. On the 5.1 analogue out, what I meant there was no seperate RCA 5.1 analogue output, which I know some older Amps accept as input. The individual 3.5mm jacks are indeed analogue stereo outputs.