1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggested receiver for Q1s

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by CodeThief, Jul 10, 2002.

1. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Anyone got any idea of the sort of level receiver I can use to make the Q1s sing for music and movies (When and if they ever bloody turn up). I don't want to spend loads but whats the minimum I should be looking at, because I don't want to waste them on a ****e receiver :)

Dave

2. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I personally use a denon 2802 to drive my six Q1's. I find it excellent, but then again I am not an expert. I listened to both music and movies, Movies sound excellent, and Music is very respectable.

There was a thread by Uncle Eric talking about the Q1's in this forum. He used an upper-end receiver with excellent results. I just could not pay that amount of money. For my purposes the 2802 is fine.

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Depends how many Q1's you've bought and what your priorities are really. If you just want 5.1 for movies AND the best sound under a grand with your music, get an Arcam AVR200 (£800). I just bought one and love it! My CD's are getting just as much action as my films now and Dolby Prologic II is the business too. 5.1 DVD's are a big step up from my Yamaha DSPAX620 - the Yam was just lifeless in stereo.

As for more surround speakers, I demoed the Denon 3802, but was not too impressed in stereo. I reckon your Q1's deserve better. Apparently the brand new Sony STRVA555ES is supposed to be great in stereo and surround and it has an extra channel for the rears (£1000, but discounted everywhere already). Also try Denon 2802 and Marantz 6200 which are also pretty good in stereo and fantastic with films.

Hope those Q1's turn up soon, I really feel for you!

4. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah this is ****ing me off waiting for these speakers now :( I've given up hasseling the hifi shop in question as it's down to Kef to deliver now. Hmm well I've been reading lots of reviews and I'd shortlisted down to the Marantz sr6/7200 or Sony STR-VA555ES. Hmm. Only problem is, I cant get a demo of either of these where I live. Damn this is gonna be a hard one. BTW, anyone seen the Sony for less than around £750( at techtronics)??

Dave

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +936
    Dave

There´s a black Denon 3802 in the Hardware/Classifieds for sale at 550 quid if you have´nt seen it already. The Denon´s are excellent for movies and music performance is good though not up to the likes of the Arcam AVR200.

As with most things, see if you can demo before buying that way you´ll be choosing something that sounds good to you and your ears. What one person likes another one dislikes!

Bear in mind the Arcam is only a five channel amplifier and does´nt have EX/ES decoding which could be a factor if you´re thinking having of the latest formats.

6. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Jase,

Thanks for the reply mate.

Im not soooo fussed about 6.1 / 7.1 but it'd be nice to have the latest gadgets. Now the AVR200 I could get a demo of. My local hifi place sells Arcam. Does the AVR200 have preouts for 6.1??? so I could use another amp for the rear if needed?

Dave

7. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
  8. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Aaah nice one mate,
    I've just been searching the Arcam site and couldnt find that :rolleyes:

Dave

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +936
    Dave

The Arcam only has pre-outs for the five main channels and the subwoofer. It does´nt have onboard decoding for EX/ES either hence no pre-out for the rear centre channels.

10. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Right,

Just had a read through all that.

Im not a hardcore hifi audiophile. I just want to make sure that the Q1s get what they deserve.

Can anyone tell me why I should spend £400 more on the AVR200 instead of the Marantz SR6200. Which btw does 6.1 and is respectable for stereo. Not being a complete perfectionist as far as 2 channel audio is concerned, would I be wasting my money by going for the AVR200???? Would the Marantz be good enough to do the Q1s justice???

Dave

11. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hiya Mate. I reckon your best bet is the following (and it is fun too!) Call up your local hifi store (the one that sells Arcam) and ask if they do the Marantz PM 4000 two-channel amp. Then book a demo between it and the Arcam AVR200 in stereo only and take along your favourite tunes. I reckon the Marantz 4000 and 6200 receiver should have similar sounds, even tho' the stereo amp is much cheaper. See if the Arcam is £400 better. If they won't let you use the AVR200 in a demo try the old model Diva 75 (B4 the + version) instead. Also try a couple of entry-level Denon stereo amps if you can too. This should give you some idea how their 5/6 channel big brothers sound.:)

Although I think you are beginning to answer you own questions on stereo listening - DVD sound appears to be your first love and if you want the latest surround format (as well as easier setup - my Arcam is a pig to use!) :mad: , then you should get the Marantz. Movie wise it should be even better than you hoped and in stereo it will please just about everyone (hard-core stereo fans first and foremost excluded) too.

12. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think you're right mate. I think I've almost persuaded myself not to spend the extra cash. Unfortunately my local and only hifi shop only sells Arcam, Linn, Meridian, Nad etc. Not Marantz or Denon. I can demo the Arcam but not the Marantz :( I think the Marantz is looking better and better every day. I can always get a standalone 2 channel setup if I decide I want better music.

Dave

13. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AVland are doing the SR6200 for £379.95, though they only have gold ones left now. I got mine on Tuesday and I'm very impressed with it for 2ch stuff, which is all I'm using it for till I build my HC room.

I had a Marantz PM4200 2ch amp before it, it's probably not really fair to compare them both but the SR6200 is a lot better.

http://www.avland.co.uk/marantz/sr6200/

14. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that link. I can't have a gold one Im afraid, it would look ****e in an AV rack (silver) with other silver components (according to the gf :rolleyes: ).

Don't suppose anyone has any pics of a gold receiver with other silver components do they????

KevB_UK,

Does yours have the delay probs with DVDs or have you not even got a DVD player attached yet???

Dave

15. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've not seen one for real go to a shop and look at one, it's not really that golden. It may just go with your silver stuff.

No I haven't got my DVD player connected to it yet, but if you look at another thread about this problem (think it was posted by someone called Cybersoga or something) you'll see it depends on which DVD player you use.

16. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Bugger,

Just went to have another look at avland, to find that they've removed the Sr6200/7200 as they've obviously sold out :( . Bum. Anyone know when the 6300 will be out and the price??

Dave