Suggested amp for my system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gwiddicombe, Mar 20, 2006.

1. gwiddicombe

gwiddicombe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have recently purchased a Pioneer PDP-436XDE Screen and Monitor Audio Radius speakers/sub and am very pleased with it. However, I want to upgrade other parts of my system in order to get the most out if it.

I have all but settled on the Arcam DV79 DVD Player, but was wondering what amp would be best go with it. I am considering the Yamaha DSP-AX757SE. Would this be up to the job in terms of my setup?

The Yamaha amp is reasonably priced. What difference would I notice (in terms of sound quality) if I went for the more expensive Yamaha RX-V4600 amp instead?

Cheers,

G.W.

2. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I have a Yamaha DSP AX757SE with Radius speakers. They are a very good match. I auditioned the Radius speakers with the Denon AVR2106 and the Yamaha DSP-AV757SE. I preferred the Yamaha. However, I had a set budget and felt the Yamaha was the best for my budget.

On the question of “could you tell the difference between the DSP-AX757se and the RX-V4600”, that is down to your ears. I’m sure most people would be able to tell the difference without too much of a problem. Why not go along to your local Sevenoaks Hifi, they are dealers for all the equipment you currently own and the equipment you’re interested in. The only opinion that counts is yours.

I would question whether you should buy the DV79 as this is quite an old model and technology has moved on quite a long way since it was released. The upscaling/picture processing on your PDP-436XDE will be far better than the DV79.

Given the choice of the RX-V4600 with Denon DVD1920 or the DV79 with the DSP AX757SE. I would choose the RX-V4600. In 5 years time a RX-V4600 will still be worth something.

3. gwiddicombe

gwiddicombe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that. I did actually demo the Denon DVD1920 with the PDP-436XDE and I must say that I was slightly disappointed. Having said that, I'm not sure if it was set up properly, as it was at the end of reasonably long demo, where I was looking at quite alot of different kit.

I have read alot of good reviews regarding the Denon DVD-1920, which basically for the money seems very good. Are you saying that the Denon would similar to the Arcam in terms of picture quality? The reason why I was considering the Arcam was for its better audio quality, but with the money saved if I went for the Denon, I could get a decent separate CD player anyway if I wanted.

Lots to consider. What Hi-Fi magazine suggests pairing the Yamaha DSP-757SE with the Denon. I appreciate it is down to my own ears, and a demo would be the best way forward, but do you think this combination with my plasma/speaker setup would look and sound? I'm lucky to be on a reasonably flexible budge, but also don't want to waste money unnecessarily.

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    You should notice quite a difference especially in stereo. The 4600 will use much better internal electronics and also have a more powerful power suply so it will drive 'harder' speakers easier and also output more power when all channels are driven together.

A demo is the only real way of proving it though but my money would definatly go on the 4600. I would happily swap my 1400 for one;)

5. PercyP

PercyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do you need the fancy video processing in the RX-V4600? I am currently thinking about a new amp/speaker system, and I'm seriously considering the RX-V2500 (£545 from SevenOaks, even cheaper on the net). It's specs look a lot better than the 757, probably comparable to the V2600 without the HDMI switching (do you need more than the 2 already on the 436XDE?) and video scaling (which IMHO is overrated, since the scaler in the Pioneer seems to do a pretty good job).

P.

6. gwiddicombe

gwiddicombe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I too was thinking of the RX-V2500, but I think I remember reading a review in What Hi-Fi magaizine said that it needed careful speaker selection. I already have my speakers though, so I kind of discounted it. May try a demo now though....like you say, I probably don't really need the HDMI switching.

So much to consider! :eek:

7. Miguelcarvalho

Miguelcarvalho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought in late December the yamaha dsp-757-se, denon 1920 and KEF Q series. But late February I had the possibility (read budget) to change and bought yamaha rx-v2600. I´d also tested the denon avr 3806 but my option went for the yamaha. Best in terms video connections (upscaling) and cinema. Denon is slight superior in stereo but with no upscalling.
    The upscaling really improves my signal of cable TV (Portuguese), the only problem is with live broadcasts os football games where the image with fast movements freezes a litle. But I think is a problem of the cable tv...
    If your concern is buying an receiver with "future proof" I would recommend the Yamaha rx-v 2600 [similar 4600 but no I-Link (with denon 1920 you don´t need this), with upscalling and cheapear 100 pounds] . But if this matter isn't a concern the 757 it should be ok for you.
    The denon 1920 is working fine trough the yamaha with fantastic image but some people are reporting lip sync problems with the denon. Until now everything is working fine with my denon.

Cheers
    Miguel

8. PercyP

PercyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    gwiddicombe, which eddition of What Hi-Fi was it? I am having a demo of the RX-V2500 on Friday with 3 speaker setups (Quad L-ite's, B&W M1s and KEF 3005.1). If there are likely to be issues with this speaker selection, then perhaps I should also ask to compare the 757SE?

9. gwiddicombe

gwiddicombe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Apologies. I've just double checked, and What Hi-Fi's Ultimate Guide (kind of a year summary/review of some of the best bits of kit) mentioned the RX-V1500 (and not the V2500) needed careful speaker placement.

10. PercyP

PercyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank God for that! I was beginning to doubt my choice! I am hoping that the 2500 is as good as the 2600 in terms of sound.

P.

11. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Gwiddicombe, I’m surprised you were disappointed with the Denon DVD1920. I was impressed with the Denon’s performance but it was connected to a projector at the time. Getting a dedicated CD player is definitely the way to go. Not sure what’s best at the moment as I still use an old Marantz CD63.

Prices of high end DVD players are also likely to tumble in the near future when Bluray & HD-DVD players are released.

I don’t think you will be disappointed with any of the amplifiers already mentioned but if you can afford it I would go for the RX-V4600 or RX-V2600. Remember, HDMI provides more than just video it also provides uncompressed multi-channel audio. This is likely to become more important in the future. HDCP scales down the video resolution if connected using analogue connections rather than HDMI, I’m not sure if this is also the case for audio. Bluray and HD-DVD players will probably also provide multi-channel analogue outputs to connect into the multi-channel inputs of an amp. But will this be compressed? Finally the RX-V2600 only provides 6 channels for multi-channel input, the RX-V4600 and DSP-AX757SE provide 8 channels, this is only important if you have a 7.1 setup.

12. gwiddicombe

gwiddicombe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the information. So, just to clarify, you think the Denon DVD-1920 would pair up well with a Yamaha RX-V2600 (bearing in mind this equipment will be going with my existing Pioneer PDP-436XDE and Monitor Audio Radius speakers/sub)?

If so, I'll call my local Sevenoaks and ask for a demo of this I think.

13. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If you are wanting good SQ from stereo then I would suggest you look outside of an AV amp.

I have the 757SE and it is not as good in stereo as I would have hoped. In the end I went for a stereo hi-fi amp and piped the front out of the Yamaha into it.

I would doubt that even the Yamaha flagship AV amp could match a reasonable hi-fi amp.

14. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I would go and get the demo. I would also try the Arcam AVR250 and Denon AVR3806. It's also worth booking midweek when they have more time to let you try various combinations. When testing the DVD player make sure you check where the video processing is taking place. Personally I would think your Pioneer would do the best job, but make sure you check out what the Receivers video processing is capable of as you may think it's better.

15. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the arcam dv79 and i have it running into a denon 3806, speaker wise its kef Q1's and Q9c at the front and 4 eggs at the back. Sounds great:thumbsup:
    the denon has the ability to upsample/switch every thing to HDMI or component, has a 6 seat callibration function, 2 extra zones(multi room) i think and a very nice sounding pure direct mode, which when paired with the 79 as a CD spinner sounds awsome.