Suggest something brighter than my Sony

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JonasCarlsson, Jun 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. JonasCarlsson

JonasCarlsson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a Sony DA2400ES to which I have 3 Boston Acoustics Horizon HS60s in front and 3 HS40s as surrs and surr-back. Great stuff, however there's something lacking in the highend with this combo, why I tried to EQ the rig quite extensively. It sounds good by any means, but I feel it's still a decent compromise at best, even with calibration.

Now my first speaker setup (local brand Dynavoice S6) turned out to sound a bit boxy and quite harsh once they played beyond a whisper. Trying to avoid that I did some research and came up with the Boston Horizons, which some reviews claimed never went harsh and their build design would prevent them from sounding boxy as well.

No wonder they never go harsh as they're a bit rolled off in the highend, particularly beyond that 10kHz signature peak of theirs. In addition to that they put out a tremendous lowend, why I have the ports of the 40s plugged and I covered the walls behind the 60s with wafer foam. Integrating them with a sub proved to be something of a pain too.

Now it's the time to upgrade the Sony so I thought I'd keep the speakers and look elsewhere for a receiver (I may find use for the Sony elsewhere though, as it is a great receiver). Now I may not be looking for the utmost detail in the highend (allergic to white noise frequencies as I am) but something with a more natural extension in the highs.

What say you? Yamaha (looking into the A830 a bit), Pioneer something... what else is there?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    You're more likely to get more detail or the changes you want be replacing the speakers with speakers that are more clinical in natures. Other than this, maybe look at Pioneer who have a reputation for making clinical and detailed sounding AV receivers. If you've the fuuds then also look at Anthem AV receivers.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  3. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
  4. JonasCarlsson

JonasCarlsson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanx good people. Well not necessarily looking for more details (as in treble) per se - those Bostons, rolled back as they may be, seem to convey quite a bit of definition. And the Sony is pretty uncoloured throughout the range, save for said issue. It's just that it seems to put out a sound (direct and calibrated) that doesn't favour highs of some reason.