1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggest me to capture video from my Mini DV Camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by murali, Aug 5, 2005.

1. murali

murali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently i have purchased a JVC make GR-D270 digital camcorder. Since i am new to this, i don't know how to capture the video from my camcorder tape to my PC. My PC has the following configuration : P-IV, 1.5Ghz,40GB,Window Xp sp2. I could collect the digital still images from the memory card. But i couldn't do it for video. The manufacture has given a decoding driver software. Unfortunately they have not given any information about how to use it? do i need any additional software? new hardware(already i am having USB2.0 port. is it sufficient?) help me to solve this :lease:

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ONLY way to successfully transfer video from a camcorder to a PC is by firewire - please search these forums for 'firewire' and you will find this same information repeated again and again with instructions on what to do.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    As Beejaycee has said, the question of how to capture video from a DV camcorder is aksed several times a week, but I'll give some pointers to get you going!

The basic specs of your PC are more than good enough, but you will definately need more disc space as digital video will eat up around 1Gb for every 4 minutes captured, thats around 14Gb per hour :eek: . You then need more space for editing and file conversion.
    You don't mention how much RAM you have, but 512Mb is about the minimum you should have with 1Gb or more recommended.

USB will not be any good for capture as it can not maintain a high enough, constant rate. Although USB2.0 is faster than basic firewire it still drops below the minimum bit rate for video.
    Many modern PC's will have a firewire port already (although best to avoid those on the sound card as they can be more problematic than they are worth. If no firewire is on the PC then a PCI card with several ports can be bought to plug directly onto the motherboard (same connection as sound card etc) for less than £20 online. This should include a 6 pin to 4 pin cable that is required to connect the camcorder.

As you have Windows XP SP2 installed you already have a basic, but very good editing program that is part of the OS install. Movie Maker 2 is easy to learn and use, but full help on useing it can be found Here. Although very good for editing it will not be able to create a VCD or DVD from your footage. For that you will need something like Ulead DVD MovieFactory that will cost around £30 and is very good and easy to use - I know as it is what I use!
    Don't worry about the software supplied with your camcorder as this is likely to be only for still images and perhaps web cam type functions.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Mark.

4. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Ulead provide free 30-day trials of their software.

Just make sure you have enough disk space though!

I just edited a wedding video using Ulead and it took up 100GB all in all!

5. murali

murali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your advice friends. I being a new user of both camcorder and this forum, i had little knowledge about the previous discussions. Any how i will try as per your advice and let you know the result.

6. mentaliss

mentaliss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi buffs
    Can anyone throw some light on to what might be the best video editing/authority to capture video movies to DVD for a budget up to around £120?

member, larry

7. Stenataar

Stenataar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I use ulead video studio - cost about £60 I think. It is a bit of a pig to use - there is a foum like this dedicated to it, but it can produce excelllent reults.

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Hi Larry, the main contenders in the budget editing & DVD authoring race are:

Pinnacle Studio - great program when it works, but tends to be very unstable unless you are lucky.
    Ulead Video Studio
    Sony Vegus Studio

All the above sell for around the £50-£60 mark, and they all have basic DVD authoring. If you want/need extra authoring features then there are also many programs such as Ulead DVD MovieFactory at around £30.
    Most, if not all, of these programs are available as a free 30 day trial from the companies web sites.

Mark.

9. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I've just decided to buy U-Lead Video Studio 8 and U-Lead Movie Factory from Amazon for £34 and £21 respectively. (U-Lead Video Studio 9 is the same price, but there seem to be too many comments about it going down the same route as Pinnacle - more features, less stable?)

10. Stenataar

Stenataar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would strongly suggest visiting the videostudio forum linked from ulead website. There is a sticky post at the top of the forum - it is much clearer than the instruction book and will get you producing great results much quicker. Have fun! :clap:

11. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks, I'll give it a good look!