Suggest me a Monkey Island type game

boltoa

Established Member
Reaction score
I can only get the wife to play games if it's a Monkey Island type puzzley kind of game. She's also ok with Zelda type stuff that involve some action and some puzzley bits, but I am PC/PS2, rather than GC, so won't be getting the new one.

We've just finished Escape from Monkey Island (PC) and I'm looking for something new. Can anybody suggest anything. Given I've not bought this type of game in the last year or so, and we play fairly intermittently, anything released in the last year for either PC or PS2 would be good.

I heard some rumour a while ago about a new Sam & Max game - anybody know anything? Loved the original PC game :).

Ta muchly

Andrew

Thanks for the quick reply.

Finished Grim Fandango a while ago, LBA/LBA2 are both quite old, but Simon the Sorcerer 3D looks like a possible choice. Any other suggestions? How about either of the Harry Potter games, or are they more actiony than adventury?

Andrew

If there's any Lucasarts stuff you've missed out on I highly recommend a trip regardless how old they are...

The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
The Curse of Monkey Island
Full Throttle
Sam n Max Hit the Road
Day of the Tentacle
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Flight of the Amazon Queen

It's probably just me, but I actually prefer these things with the old 2D interface...

Done all of those apart from the last one, which I've never even heard of :). Having just had a quick surf, it looks ok, but I really can't be bothered getting a DOS game working properly :).

I've watched the Final Fantasy film :), but I've never played any of the games. I've always had the impression they're more actiony RPG than puzzley adventure. Which is ok by me, but won't appeal to the wife much :(. Although she's ok with the Zelda games, she considers the combat bits a sideshow to the puzzley bits.

Andrew

Sticking with my retro theme, the original Ecstatica was a top puzzler and super creepy too.

Also... what about Gabriel Knight 3?

It's all coming floodin back!

Bladerunner on PC CD ROM - now that was a top adventure game, played it through 3 times and it was always different.

Alone in the Dark 3?

Errr, guys, getting a little off topic :). I can remember being amazed at the first Alone in the Dark. First proper 3D thing, although if I recall correctly, the main character was made up of about 6 polygons :).

ANYWAY, any suggestions on more up to date games, please....

Andrew

DOTT and Sam and Max: HTR are available in game or EB for tenner the pair, both ready to run properly in Windows. Two of the best advernture games ever. Seriously, for real adventure games ignore the age.

You could look at Alundra for the PS1 that was a quality Zelda type adventure.

I am afraid that puzzle adventure games are long dead. You could look at RPGs like Planescape Torment (heavily puzzle/text riddle based). The only other option is to really buy a GC, Eternal Darkness, Resi Evil, Starfox, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime it is the king of action adventure puzzle.

How about looking at simple arcade puzzle games, like Bust a Move.

On second thoughts you could look at Broken Sword, The Dig, Discworld Noir.

Take a look here

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/genre/0,11892,pc-adventure,00.html

Originally posted by alextgreen
DOTT and Sam and Max: HTR are available in game or EB for tenner the pair, both ready to run properly in Windows. Two of the best advernture games ever. Seriously, for real adventure games ignore the age.

Hold on to your receipt though. I picked this one up for my brother (and for me), but I couldn't get either of them to run in Win2K. I think my brother managed to get DOTT working in Win98 (booting into DOS mode), but never got Sam & Max working properly at all. Might have been our setup, but just thought I'd let you all know.

Can't speak for Sam & Max, but DOTT is one of my all-time favs.

Finished S&M and DOTT (many years ago :)). Also finished The Dig and the Discworld games.

Yeah, I'd noticed this type of game is becoming less and less available. Pity. Too much effort required to create them I suppose. Not like bolting on a different look to a first person shooter engine and selling it for £40 :(.

Anybody played either of the Harry Potter games? Too childish? OK? Reviews are generally pretty reasonable...

Andrew

Hi boltoa,

Have you tried Myst and its sequel, Riven, on the PC? They are both excellent, puzzle orientated games with great graphics and very atmospheric sound.

Jen

RE FF series of games.

These are far more puzzle orientated than people think.
My missus loves the FF series for the storyline too...we played through all of them together (not many videogames get a high WAF in my experience)

Done Myst, not done Riven.

Might suggest FF 10 then.

No response on the Harry Potter query? Nobody played the new-ish Chamber of Secrets game?

Andrew

Originally posted by boltoa
Anybody played either of the Harry Potter games? Too childish? OK? Reviews are generally pretty reasonable...

Andrew

I was gonna steer clear of these because (aside from the fact that most move tie-ins are terrible) the adverts show a bunch of CGI crapola that has nothing to do with the game itself. That's usually a really bad sign. (not to mention false advertising)

But, I haven't read any reviews, so that's just my initial reaction.

They might be quite old but 'Little Big Adventure' and 'Little Big Adventure 2' were both Fantastic games. If anything I prefered the original.

For their time they were way ahead of everyone else.

I also recall playing a puzle/adventure game where everything was made out of clay, a like Morph.

Cant rememer what it was called now but it was a great game.

Originally posted by boltoa
Done Myst, not done Riven.

Might suggest FF 10 then.

From your words I get the impression you weren't wholly enthralled with Myst and will, therefore, avoid Riven. For what it's worth I found Riven a significant improvement over Myst: it has a far wider scope, better sounds and images, and some of the puzzles verge on the impossible (which, for me, was a good thing). Beware the 5 CDs, though!

Can you still buy the Monkey Island games anywhere though? I have Escape from MI and Curse of MI one of which is on PS2 but I can't find the others for PC. Amazon have them on their website but not in stock :(

Laura

Check ebay for the original monkey games - there's a always a few knocking around.

Aren't LucasArts re-releasing them? So they are Windows compatible.

With XP (and 2000 as well I believe) you'll certainly have problems running DOTT, Full Throttle and Sam + Max. For those of you who want to, may I suggest that you surf on over to http://quick.mixnmojo.com and take advantage of the wondeful LEC Quick+Easy 3.5, which (with a little help from VDMS) allows you to run many glorious Lucas adventure games with ease. Follow all the instructions (to the letter!!), and it should work fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom