Suggest best TV for movies?

shadow85

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi would anyone be able to suggest the absolute best TV I can get for picture quality for mainly just movies and some TV shows.

I already currently have a CX48 which was suppose to be a dedicated gaming display, but barely used as I now game on a Neo G9. And I have the old 55" E6 I was using for non gaming content.

I would like to go bigger, most likely 65", may consider a 77" but the price just hikes incredibly for that size.

Is it worth getting a 8K TV? I saw some on display at the local shop and their demo videos on display do look incredibly good, but then again so does the 4K OLED TVs on display at this shop.

Should I get another OLED by either LG or Sony in 65", or should I consider the Samsung QLED FALD TVs?

Please give me your opinions on what TV will have the absolute best PQ quality, and if they are too expensive, what is the next best thing below them? Does not need to have good gaming performance, as I dedicate that to my Neo G9 now.

Thanks guys.

It will always be a matter of size versus quality if you're thinking of larger TVs. But once you reach higher end LCD TVs there's not a huge difference in picture quality between those and OLEDs so going up in size to a 75" LCD compared to a 65" OLED makes sense.

From 2020 lines; Sony 75X950H/85X950H, Samsung also have 75" and 85" models, look out for Q90T/Q95T.

From 2021 you'll probably find the new models are still too expensive. Usually best to wait for sales on these. But Sony 75X95J/85X95J and Samsung QN90A/QN95A/QN90A..beware with this years Samsung's to check which panel type comes with which size since some TVs are now using IPS type (ADS) panels.

I'm not sure how the market is similar in Australia, but there may also be comparable models there from Hisense and TCL too.

Thanks for response.

That range suggested is like all the TVs on the market lol.

Is there any consensus on which one is king for PQ Quality, in HDR prefrably?

Samsung and Sony take different approaches. Sony have a more accurate picture, but blacks aren't quite as deep and highlights aren't quite as bright whilst Samsung have a more striking picture, not as accurate, but with deeper blacks and brighter highlights.

So it really depends on your preferences. Most enthusiasts of video choose picture accuracy first, therefore Sony would be best, others like their TVs to be striking, so Samsung.

EDIT*
The QN9XA and QN95A models are the same picture quality, the QN90A is dimmer, and some sizes are IPS, some VA.
Regional differences may also exist, so not sure which come with which locally to you.
tabelle-neoqled-panels_1099736.jpg

Last edited:
So should i really fork out a bit more and aim for a 77" of the same model I am looking at over a 65"?

77" is an OLED size. Usually the higher up the size scale you go the more value is found buying an LCD TV instead. So if shopping at 75" from a value for money perspective already LCD TVs make more sense.

You should take the time to research the pro's and cons of each display tech and see what it offers you personally. There's no one-size-fits-all answer unfortunately.

Ok so I have decided to go with a C1 77" oled. But I was wondering, I can get a 75" Samsung 8K QN900A for a similar price, would that be a better buy?

I know it won't have as deep blacks, but it will be brighter, and does the 8K add a much better viewing experience compared to the 4K Oled C1?

8K... pointless.

Nothing is in 8K and it means upscaling even more for SD content which will make it look worse.

It might be brighter, but it doesn't have the contrast of an OLED. If it's going in a room you can dim and keep direct light off the TV a C1 or Sony A80J would be a better TV for movies.

Ok, understood. Yeah i am aware nothing is in native 8K yet if much at all.

I just thought the upscaling to 2x the pixel count would add glorious clarity to the picture? Guess I am wrong?

Anyways, I have plenty of Oleds already and can also agree the blacks and contrast is king.

Plus I forgot to mention most of my viewing will be in a dark room, so I guess the flaws of QLED will start to surface in that scenario.

Besides, I couldn't tell much difference at all when I was looking at the demo content on the 8K TVs on display at the shop compared to the 4K Oleds.

I just thought the upscaling to 2x the pixel count would add glorious clarity to the picture?

It's actually 4x the amount of pixels from 4K to 8K, and that's the issue, you're generating pixels that aren't there. I'm sure with 4K content it will look great, but HD 1080p has to be upscaled 16x and SD content is upscaled 64x. So for every real pixel it has to artificially create 63 fake ones.

It's not going to look good. SD on a 4K TV can be quite poor depending upon the source.

Interesting.

But then why release 8K TVs if bugger all 8K content, and alot of things is horrendously upscaled that much?

Is 8k TVs currently just for future proofing or something?

Well, how will they get you to change your 4K TV for something ....... better?

8K is the next thing (according to the manufacturers), but nobody has plans to release any 8K content currently, you're not going to be able to stream it in the near future and there are no plans for 8K discs.

Most TV mainstream TV channels are only 1080i/p.

There is some content in Japan and Korea AFAIK but nothing here of any volume. Hollywood doesn't film in 8K, they barely do F/X in 4K, instead doing them in 2K and upscaling due to the massive increased cost and time.

It's like buying one of the early 4K TVs. Great, you've got a 4K TV but there's no content yet and "what's this HDR thing", your TV doesn't have it and that's what it's really all about and it looks crap on your TV and you need to buy a new one now?

8k will be fine in the future when people are mostly watching 4k. At the moment many people are still watching a mixture of content, sometimes even still SD TV. That looks bad enough upscaled to 4k, let alone 8k.

Each time the TV steps up a resolution the more processing it has to include to 'blow up' the picture to that resolution...and the TVs processors can't cope.

If we still used HD TVs now, the processing would be exemplary because it would be very powerful for upscaling to only HD. We're only just starting to see better upscaling to 4k, and even then the processors are a little on the underpowered side. 8k means even more demanding processing, without the power to back it up.

has your tv come yet if its a very good picture then no.

has your tv come yet if its a very good picture then no.
The shop had the C177" and A80J77" side by side, and even though on the rtings review they both perform very similarly if not identical in most regards, in the shop the Sony variant just looked better and the shop guy gave me it near the same price as the C177 so I took it.

8K... pointless.

Nothing is in 8K and it means upscaling even more for SD content which will make it look worse.

It might be brighter, but it doesn't have the contrast of an OLED. If it's going in a room you can dim and keep direct light off the TV a C1 or Sony A80J would be a better TV for movies.
I’m torn between these two! I only watch movies and I really want a good picture quality. A80j or C1 or do I go for the best qled? In Uk hisense U8G isn’t as good as the US model. That would have been my pick. So now stuck with C1 or A80j

I’m torn between these two! I only watch movies and I really want a good picture quality. A80j or C1 or do I go for the best qled? In Uk hisense U8G isn’t as good as the US model. That would have been my pick. So now stuck with C1 or A80j
Is it just me or did my CX picture look better than my new Sony A80J?

I just got rid of my CX48 and got a A80J 77". For some reason, the overall picture quality on my new Sony does not look as incredible as the CX on initial impressions.

Unfortunately I got rid of my CX48 so I can't do a side-by-side comparison, but the A80J seems to be somewhat more washed out, whereas the CX looked considerably more vibrant. And the blacks also don't look as good to me on the A80J as it did on the CX. On the A80J, the blacks look about as good as my new Samsung 49" 2000 dimming zone qled gaming monitor, but that monitor is not Oled whereas the A80J is.

Did I make a bad choice in choosing the A80J 77" over the C1 77"? I only opted for the Sony, because rtings seem to review it ever so slightly better in terms of HDR picture quality.

Maybe my settings are not correct? I have tried messing around with the picture settings, and tried the settings recommended by rtings on their review, but I just don't seem to get the same WOW factor like I did on my CX.

What is other people settings here for SDR, HDR and DV?

Is it just me or did my CX picture look better than my new Sony A80J?

I just got rid of my CX48 and got a A80J 77". For some reason, the overall picture quality on my new Sony does not look as incredible as the CX on initial impressions.

Unfortunately I got rid of my CX48 so I can't do a side-by-side comparison, but the A80J seems to be somewhat more washed out, whereas the CX looked considerably more vibrant. And the blacks also don't look as good to me on the A80J as it did on the CX. On the A80J, the blacks look about as good as my new Samsung 49" 2000 dimming zone qled gaming monitor, but that monitor is not Oled whereas the A80J is.

Did I make a bad choice in choosing the A80J 77" over the C1 77"? I only opted for the Sony, because rtings seem to review it ever so slightly better in terms of HDR picture quality.

Maybe my settings are not correct? I have tried messing around with the picture settings, and tried the settings recommended by rtings on their review, but I just don't seem to get the same WOW factor like I did on my CX.

What is other people settings here for SDR, HDR and DV?
You are probably best asking that in the owners thread:

It could be that on the bigger TV you are just noticing impurities in the source more, have you tried using the best quality sources?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom