Suggest a subwoofer with similar connectivity to REL

ihan

Hi all,

I currently own a B&W ASW750. The one thing that annoys me about is it does not have a high level input connection. In order to use it with 2 channel music, I have to switch-off stereo direct on my Arcam AV8. When I do this, the sound quality deteriorates (in the treble part of the spectrum).

Therefore, what I need (I think) is a sub with simultaneous high & low level inputs with independantly adjustable crossovers & volume controls.

In other words a REL. However, I think I would miss the extension of the 12" driver in the ASW750. The largest REL product that will fit in the space is a StormV, which only has a 10" driver.

Can anyone suggest a suitable alternative. Also, REL StormVs seem to be being sold at a discount at some stores - are REL stopping manufacturing them?

Many thanks,
Ian

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Also, REL StormVs seem to be being sold at a discount at some stores - are REL stopping manufacturing them?

The REL Stampede, Strata 5, Storm 5 and Stadium 3 are all being discontinued much to my annoyance. Thankfully the Stentor 3 and Studio 3 are still current models.

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
Why not use an active crossover between the AV8 and the power amp(s) to redirect the bass from the fronts to the sub?

It's been mentioned a few times on forum and you can input the LFE into one low level input and the bass (previously directed to the speakers via power amp) to the sub via the other low level input.

It's an option and certainly cheaper than replacing the B&W which you seem otherwise happy with. Certainly worth a quick use of the forum search.:smashin:

Russell

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
I have to say, when you want to run two systems in one sub the REL's did have a good design there.....i miss my Strata 5 for that reason.....i have to keep getting up to switch things on my PB12+ when i move from music to films/tv.....which i do a few times a day......(cue the dont be so lazy comments...........when you suffer from arthritic complaints and have finally found a comfy position only to realise you need to get up to change things you shouldnt have to, then see how you feel about the dont be lazy comments)....

russraff

Aren't the lower end ST ranges to be replaced with the hideous Britannia range? The Britannia range look a lot bigger (ported cabinets?), even if they still use the same drivers as the R and mkV ST ranges, though.

MJ Acoustics and the BK XLS200 mk2 are the only subs I know of with the same connections as the REL's (Monolith doesn't have independent crossovers, dunno about the smaller ones). Ruark used to have them on their subs, but they stopped doing that when the Vita ranges came out.

Russell

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
I have to say, when you want to run two systems in one sub the REL's did have a good design there.....i miss my Strata 5 for that reason.....i have to keep getting up to switch things on my PB12+ when i move from music to films/tv.....which i do a few times a day......(cue the dont be so lazy comments...........when you suffer from arthritic complaints and have finally found a comfy position only to realise you need to get up to change things you shouldnt have to, then see how you feel about the dont be lazy comments)....

My Doctor tells me exercise is the best 'treatment' for arthritus, seems to work for me so don't be so lazy:lesson: :rotfl:

;) Adam

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Lol, I must be one of the lazy ones.

I've come very close to placing an order for the BK Monolith, even convinced the WAF it was the right thing to do! But in the last seconds I paused because I was getting one of those gut feelings that something was absent i.e. independent controls for high and low level crossovers and the option to simply switch the high level off for my AV/Stereo amp configuration. I just knew that I would kick myself afterwards should those features come about on a similar subwoofer in the near future and so decided to hold on to my dated Paradigm with its quirks for a little longer.

If there are any decent VFM sub manufacturers out there.... please hear our prayers and deliver unto us (unworthy ones) that which we crave! :D

russraff

Like I said, the XLS200 does have separate high and low level controls. I asked if the Monolith will get this feature a few months back and was told that seeing as the Monolith is AV focussed (implying that the XLS200 is music orientated) BK are not planning on adding separate controls. This was a while ago, mind, they may be about to change their opinions??.

As it happens, I have had both XLS200 and the Monolith and, in terms of accuracy, the XLS200 was a far better match in my room than the Monolith. Just don't expect the XLS200 to have much in the way of depth, even compared to similarly designed subs. The R305 I loaned was a much better buy - deeper more guts and a better filter for stereo stuff (IMO). But then it should at that price! I guess that for the asking price a lot of the downsides of the XLS200, and the fact it is really quite small, is offset by its value for money: In this regard, the XLS200 is impossible to beat.

Russell

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom