1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggest a HTPC case/PSU for i915Gmm-HFS

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by HiZ, Aug 30, 2005.

1. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good case for my HTPC. I want a nice alloy silver or black case. I've got an LC02 but now struggling to fit in the second DVB card even with flexi PCI risers. Its not the coolest either...

I'd like a nice quiet cool case for the i195GMmHFS AOpen board, 2 Freeview cards and 2.5" SATA disk. Also have a laptop slot load DVD drive (guess i can get adaptors to take it up to a 5.25 if needed).

Doesn't need LCD display or intergrated IR remote. Silent/v quiet PSU required, runs ok with 220W Flex PSU at present.

2 or more PCI slots, ideally vertical as those flex risers don't provide much support for the cards.

Looked at LC11 which seems OK but im not sure about upside down motherboards. The heat flows naturally back into the components instead of up and out of the heatsinks.

Any suggestions....

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The upside down thing in the LC11 actually works quite well; most hot air being drawn out of the side. The PSU is also quiet.
    I'm not so sure it's ideal for the 915Gmm though given the riser situation. You'll need to use flexi-PCI risers due to the location of the PCI slots on the board (there's a PCI express x1 slot where a suitabel PCI slot should be for the risers to align), plus you'd need to buy a PCI express riser should you want to go that route. You'd have this problem with any slimline board to be honest though - the 855 Aopen board would be a much better alternative in this case

If you're happy with flexi risers then go for it - the support on the back of the case for the back plane is better than the LC02 IMHO. There are also other upside down LC11-esque designs around as well.

If you like the Silverstone look/feel, then the Sugo might be worth looking at - this is full height/cube though.

3. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
  4. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  5. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25

The problem with my LC02 is that the PCI slots are very low near the board and therefore the card components touch the flex riser plug-in bit. If i fitted the dvb cards in the two slots futhest from the board then I'd probably be OK would I? I've got a two slot active riser which I could even joiun the two cards together with and then just use the flexi to connect that to the board????

6. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LC02 uses a standard 2U riser (is you want 2 PCI slots rather than the 1 supplied), the LC11 riser is slightly higher (just checked on a couple of riser I have upstairs and it *looks* about 4mm / 3/4 of the thickness of the PCI slot.), so you would have a bit more clearence.
    Remeber as well the PCI slots on the 915 will be further to the left also so you'll need longer flexi risers. I have though of using right facing rather than left facing (or is it the other way round :s) flexi's and modifying the backblane to allow mounting, but always seem too busy to have a play