Suez Canal blocked by Container Ship

It is reported that it will take a few days to remove the ship. So it’s unlikely we will see any effects from it. But very unfortunate for the shipping companies.

edit- first reports saying the ship had been partially refloated were wrong, so might take a while.

Last edited:
On breakfast TV they likened it to this..
tenor.gif

.. I would not want to be in that captain's shoes right now.

Suez Canal Status: Getting wider.

Position Received: 2021-03-24 11:11 UTC
1 hour, 18 minutes ago

Vessel's Local Time:
2021-03-24 13:11 LT (UTC +2)

Area: RSEA - Red Sea

Current Port: SUEZ CANAL

Latitude / Longitude: 30.0176° / 32.58013°

.. I would not want to be in that captain's shoes right now.

It was reported last night (BBC WS) as a total engine failure which in effect kills the steering as well. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often given the huge number of ships that use it every day!

EDIT The owners are now saying that a strong gust of wind blew it aground. Hmmm.....

Last edited:
It was reported last night (BBC WS) as a total engine failure which in effect kills the steering as well. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often given the huge number of ships that use it every day!

EDIT The owners are now saying that a strong gust of wind blew it aground. Hmmm.....

I hadn't caught up with that detail, but still would not like to be in there.

Just had a look on "vessel finder" web page, and it's still showing as there as of 1 min ago, and you can see the build up of craft waiting to go through.

Yes, I looked at Marine Traffic website as well, there are 7 tugs surrounding it and another 5 nearby, they have brought more in from the Port Said end. All hands on deck(s)!

Apparently they may have to unload some cargo to get it afloat. Give it a few days and I'm sure the locals will be happy to assist...

Sub Lt Phillips.

In the words of CPO Pertwee: "Ev'rybody DAHN!"

(One for the oldies and Radio 4 Extra fans amongst us there)
I used to listen to the Navy Lark on the light program in 1965, plus Round the Horne.

It is reported that an old channel has been reopened to allow some traffic to move, but looking at Google Maps I can't see one which would bypass that stretch of the canal.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom