Suez Canal blocked by Container Ship

Just as long as they move it before the tide goes out:
View attachment 1482078
Oh wait - 'canal'.
That looks like the ship that 'broke it's back' a few years ago at Sutton bridge in Lincolnshire..watched a Dutch company sort it out....they took the steel cargo out ...cut into 3 pieces and took it away on barges ...all in 2 or 3 days

If it is the one ..most shocking thing was the owners washed their hands of it and walked away !... apparently the port had to pay the rumoured million quid to get it removed!

That looks like the ship ... at Sutton bridge in Lincolnshire
It is.
Not my photos as I didn't stop to watch, but I did cross the swing-bridge whilst it was there, in January 2001?
The German owned, Antiguan registered freighter, Lagik, loaded with steel, was wrecked in late 2000 while trying to turn in the River Nene at Sutton Bridge. Attempting to use the turning bay on the west side of the rive, the ship was pushed by the rising tide beyond the bay where her bow hit the rock armoured bank and the tide then swung the stern into the rock armour on the other side of the river, jamming the ship between the two banks. She stayed there and when the tide fell, she broke her back. It took several weeks to remove the wreck during which time, the port of Wisbech upriver was cut off.

Just checked vessel tracker again, and it's still there.

There are a lot of vessels waiting to go through, anchored up just outside the canal at both ends, but their number seems to not be growing - I guess these are only those that were underway and could not turn back and everything else is being held at port, not setting sail until the path is clear.

40614332-A64E-4507-B7A3-9207CC0305E9.jpeg

And could take weeks to clear.

Guess all that shit I bought from China is going to take even longer than the usual 7 weeks now :D

Just checked vessel tracker again, and it's still there.

There are a lot of vessels waiting to go through, anchored up just outside the canal at both ends, but their number seems to not be growing - I guess these are only those that were underway and could not turn back and everything else is being held at port, not setting sail until the path is clear.
Anything heading that way would've slowed down by now to save burning extra fuel until the situation is resolved.
No point thundering up at full pelt then anchoring for a week to wait for the next slot.

Anything heading that way would've slowed down by now to save burning extra fuel until the situation is resolved.
No point thundering up at full pelt then anchoring for a week to wait for the next slot.
Imagine the phone call... “Hi honey, I’m going to be late home tonight. Go ahead and eat dinner without me.”

It is.
Not my photos as I didn't stop to watch, but I did cross the swing-bridge whilst it was there, in January 2001?

Port of Sutton Bridge.

When was that - 15 years ago? More? Less? I remember that I was passing by at the time and took a short detour off the A17 to have a quick gawp.

Yeah quite a while ago now...I was working at sea...still do .....do remember it being freezing as thanks to that ship blocking the river I had to zip out daily in a rib to take water samples ...in order to monitor potential pollution

I see its a Dutch company been called in to try and shift it ...if anyone can do it quickly it'll be those guys ...they're masters at all things nautical..

Though I've just read that even they are saying it might take weeks

Yeah quite a while ago now...I was working at sea...still do .....do remember it being freezing as thanks to that ship blocking the river I had to zip out daily in a rib to take water samples ...in order to monitor potential pollution

I see its a Dutch company been called in to try and shift it ...if anyone can do it quickly it'll be those guys ...they're masters at all things nautical..

Though I've just read that even they are saying it might take weeks

Could take them a while to get their giant tugs to the southern side of the ship... horn of Africa and all that! Maybe hire some from the Far East.

I did wonder if these ships have a pilot aboard when going through the canal.... aparantely they do .

.....I imagine he's still filling out his incident report 😱

They pass here and dock at Southampton, they are HUGE. My mind boggles as to how they can deal with it. They would need a massive floating crane to unload it, the Dutch probably have one but it would take weeks to do. Then after that you would need dredgers and massive sea tugs.

I hope that Captain has 3rd party insurance, thou I suspect he may be able to blame the pilot or the EU. :) (hey I miss talking politics)

A car caeeier nearly capsized exiting Southampton, if the pilot hadnt of grounded it the Brambles it could of taken out the port for months, so on the whole this could of been worse, but not by much.

"The CEO of Smit Salvage's parent company, Boskalis, warned that it could take weeks, rather than days, to refloat the ship."

Not looking good for the supply chain with all those craft stuck and others facing 2 weeks extra for the long way round.

An uncle used to be merchant navy back in the sixties and all of his stories involved the shipping company say "Just how few people do we need? Six? We'll aim for that".

And when they say aim, they did mean aim.

Alcoholic unqualified chil traffiker? If it got you to six it was good enough.
If they only got to five? Well it's the captains fault, even if he is an alcoholic unqualified child traffiker.

It's slightly reassuring humanity hasn't changed that much.

A friend's Dad was a Channel Ferry Captain and one night, coming back into Port, Folkstone(?) he hit the quay and caused a lot of damage to it and the ship (£1 million?)

He was an alcoholic too, so he left the ship immediately and holed up in some anonymous hotel for a couple of days.

He did get in trouble but got a minor reprimand and not Drunk in Charge which would have meant loss of job and possibly prison.

I did wonder if these ships have a pilot aboard when going through the canal.... aparantely they do .

.....I imagine he's still filling out his incident report 😱
Yup, pilot required for canal transit. Can't be entirely sure but, when the ship takes on a pilot, the captain takes a back seat, as it were, while still remaining on the bridge. But, in the event of an incident, be it allision, collision or whatever, it is the captain who shoulders responsibility. As an aside, ships master can gain Pilot Exemption Certificate, when qualified, to take his or her vessel into or out of port, without taking on a pilot.

Moving the MV Ever Given is one heck of a task. You cannot just take weight off any old how, as there's the risk of damaging the Hull, with the very real risk of breaking her back. The first thing the salvor needs to see are the ships stability charts. Those will govern just how what weight is removed and how.

As to how the Ever Given grounded is not yet public information. A huge gust of wind has been blamed and, because of how much top hamper she has, that is a possibility. A distinct, but as yet not known for certain contributor may be what is known as 'Bank Effect'. Best you look this up courtesy of your favourite search engine, as there's quite a lot of reading on that matter but, because of the size of the Ever Given and the width of of the canal, it is a possibility.

There's also been reported, sudden power failure. Again, this may be a contributory factor. But it may not be a failure, as in something going wrong with the machinery. What can and has happened with other modern vessels, are false positives with the computerised machinery monitoring equipment. In one particular case, the monitoring equipment falsely recorded an oil pressure problem, and automatically shut down the vessels prime mover, with catastrophic results. It wasn't until it was too late, that the engineers discovered what had happened. In such situations it is like dealing with HAL in 2001 a Space Oddysey and you know what that was like.

The pilot was on a promise, so beached it to get him/her/they/that/it/ some ass.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom