Suez Canal blocked by Container Ship

Cliff

Distinguished Member
It is reported that it will take a few days to remove the ship. So it’s unlikely we will see any effects from it. But very unfortunate for the shipping companies.

edit- first reports saying the ship had been partially refloated were wrong, so might take a while.

Last edited:

PaulDNAP

On breakfast TV they likened it to this..
tenor.gif

.. I would not want to be in that captain's shoes right now.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Suez Canal Status: Getting wider.

Position Received: 2021-03-24 11:11 UTC
1 hour, 18 minutes ago

Vessel's Local Time:
2021-03-24 13:11 LT (UTC +2)

Area: RSEA - Red Sea

Current Port: SUEZ CANAL

Latitude / Longitude: 30.0176° / 32.58013°

D'@ve

.. I would not want to be in that captain's shoes right now.

It was reported last night (BBC WS) as a total engine failure which in effect kills the steering as well. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often given the huge number of ships that use it every day!

EDIT The owners are now saying that a strong gust of wind blew it aground. Hmmm.....

Last edited:

PaulDNAP

It was reported last night (BBC WS) as a total engine failure which in effect kills the steering as well. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often given the huge number of ships that use it every day!

EDIT The owners are now saying that a strong gust of wind blew it aground. Hmmm.....

I hadn't caught up with that detail, but still would not like to be in there.

Just had a look on "vessel finder" web page, and it's still showing as there as of 1 min ago, and you can see the build up of craft waiting to go through.

D'@ve

Yes, I looked at Marine Traffic website as well, there are 7 tugs surrounding it and another 5 nearby, they have brought more in from the Port Said end. All hands on deck(s)!

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Apparently they may have to unload some cargo to get it afloat. Give it a few days and I'm sure the locals will be happy to assist...

A1944

It is reported that an old channel has been reopened to allow some traffic to move, but looking at Google Maps I can't see one which would bypass that stretch of the canal.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony A90J & A80J OLED and X90J & X95J BRAVIA XR TV Line-up & Features: Sony Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony launches larger screen sizes for latest Bravia XR TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021