Suddenly received extra mux on Freeview

IndianaBlues

I decided to retune my Sony set-top box last night (I don't know why, was bored I guess!) and suddenly I had Ch5, UK History, E4+1, Sky News, Sky Sports News, Sky Travel/3 etc...I've never been able to pick up these before, is this due to the channel reshuffle or is it down to atmospherics??? When I get home tonight will I just get a grey screen where last night there was a multitude of entertainment, or, now that I have got the box tuned to them, will I be able to tune in and watch them (with/without a bit of interference)?? Anyone else with a similar experience? The signal strength was about half, but the quality bar read full...

GaryB

Probably atmospherics. The nature of digital signals means they they usually work well down to a threshhold and then very quickly disappear. I've retuned STBs in very marginal areas and even found differences in what can be received with scans a few minutes apart. One other thing that can be a factor is if the signal path is blocked by trees. As the leaves fall, reception improves.

mr gadget

These channels have been there for a long long long time ( except Sky 3 and ITV4 which came online this week).
I am fortunate that I have Tivo and it always notifies me that there an additional / alteraration to the channels that I can receive, so i only retune when this happens.

IndianaBlues

GaryB said:
Probably atmospherics. The nature of digital signals means they they usually work well down to a threshhold and then very quickly disappear. I've retuned STBs in very marginal areas and even found differences in what can be received with scans a few minutes apart. One other thing that can be a factor is if the signal path is blocked by trees. As the leaves fall, reception improves.
Hmmm...so what I need is a compass and a chainsaw before spring comes around.... :devil:

Top Bottom