Suddenly my self-burnt dvd's freeze and skip sometimes

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Tonvanrijn, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Tonvanrijn

Tonvanrijn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since yesterday I have a problem with burning dvd's. Since then I burnt 3 dvd's and all these freeze and/or skip at certain places.
    For a test I played a dvd that I burnt a few weeks ago and of which the video files were still on my harddisk. It played well without any problem. Then I made a new copy by burning it again and that one froze again at a few places. So the dvd player isn't the culprit and neither the files itself.
    I always burn at 2,4 speed with Traxdata dvdr's with a Plextor 708 and always stop unnecessary background applications/programs while burning.
    What could be the cause ? Is my dvd burner dying ?

2. Boogie Badman

Boogie Badman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I have a similar problem, any advice would be a great help.

3. parky43007

parky43007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I had the same problem about a year ago. I changed my Plextor writer for a phillips and have not had a single failure since.

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Any freezing or pixelating is due to poor media or burning too fast. I would suggest trying new media. Different burners like different media. What may burn rubbish on one, may burn fine on another. If you can afford them. Taiyo Yuden discs is about the best you can get.

5. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    it sounds like the media, although it could be the burner. www.svp.co.uk has a 16x phillips burner for £20, and you can get £1.99 shipping if your a member of the buyers club (you can signup and get the code)

if the disc wasnt authored correctly it wouldnt start to play at all, so it sounds like you have that part of things right

another thing- have you checked the disc for fingerprints? give it a clean and see if it works. whenever my dad has a problem playing anything its cuz there are big mucky finger prints on the disc

years ago when media was still new, most of the problems i had that you describe were down to poor quality media. i suggest you verify each disc after burning, so you know that the disc is burned ok. burning at 8x should be fine as long as the burner can handle a sustained 8x burn (ie. its not buffer underrunning)

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    I wouldn't recommend the Philips at £20. I have read several bad posts about it and not one sucessful burn with it. It is a rebadged Liteon which a lot of their burners are not very good.

I would go for one of the NEC's that SVP do.

7. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    ah, i was considering spending £22 (inc delivery) as a spare/replacement for a cdrom drive. prices are coming down tho, so that might force pio and nec to push the prices down. liteon used to be alright (supposedly), but my standalone recorder is pants, i wouldn't recommend anything else of theirs as all i've seen in liteon forums is tons of people with problems

8. luke.a.jones

luke.a.jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iv had problems with that before, have you tried a different media player? Solved the problem for me.