• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Suddenly lost my digital signal

Bluebirdk7

Standard Member
Hi everyone. This morning, my Samsung LE37R8 was receiving digital TV just fine, but this evening, I get 'No signal'. There's no channels, nothing when I try to search again and auto-store etc, zilch- the TV just says 'check aerial'. As far as I could see, the aerial is still okay, nothings changed, and there's a poor but definite analogue signal still coming through- just nothing digital. Unfortunately I've not got any other TVs or STBs to experiment with.

Any suggestions?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You state "there's a poor but definite analogue signal still coming through"...if you also had a perfectly strong analogue signal beforehand, I'd suspect somethings changed aerial-wise.

A1944

Prominent Member
A good starting point would be to check that the aerial cable plugged into the TV is firmly pushed in at both ends, and the same with any amplifier (booster) or power unit which might be between the TV and the wall socket. Also, if there is an amplifier or power unit, make sure it is still plugged into the mains OK.

As you have tried to scan, you will probably have lost the placeholders for the digital channels, so you would probably be best trying to get a good analogue signal back, and once you have done that you can try for digital again. If the analogue signal is poor, the chances of getting digital are slim.

It is, of course, quite possible that something has happened to your aerial, particularly if it is roof mounted (which is, of course, the recommended setup). It may look fine from below, but the ravages of time (and pigeons) may have done something to it which is not obvious.

Last edited:

Bluebirdk7

Standard Member
I've no idea if the analogue signal was any good beforehand- the TV was never tuned into it!

Visually everything looks the same with the aerial and cable- I'm terrified that this is a sudden fault with my telly. :(

A1944

Prominent Member
Well, assuming your transmitter is still transmitting analogue, it is very unlikely that you will get a satisfactory digital service if the analogue signal is poor. The chances of it being a problem with your TV are fairly low, it is much more likely to be a hidden problem with your aerial system, which means anywhere between the aerial itself and the plug which goes into the TV.

If you are unable to get to the aerial yourself, you would probably be best off employing a local professional aerial firm to sort it out for you.

Bluebirdk7

Standard Member
Made some progress! Just been lent a spare digital set top box and that's worked straight away, so the aerial is good and it must be the TV's own tuner that's gone kaput. Are such things repairable, or is it not worth the cost?

Peter Rhea

Established Member
Don't write off the tv just yet, it may just have a less sensitive tuner than the box you were lent; signal level could still be low.

Bluebirdk7

Standard Member
More adventures...

Went out and bought a new STB this morning, plugged it in and...nothing. Arrrrggghhh! Then i tried it without my signal booster in the loop and it worked...then i tried the aerial lead straight into the telly, and the telly was working as normal too...

I'd previously thought the booster wasn't a problem as I'd tried swapping it for another one I had to rule it out, so it seems as if suddenly, the rest of my gear here just refuses to work with a booster, but is fine otherwise. So it's yay for my telly etc, but not so yay as I've now bought a non-returnable STB (from Argos) and wasted twenty quid. Grrrrr!

Peter Rhea

Established Member
If your transmitter has recently switched over & increased power it could be overloading your 'booster' or any equipment connected to it.

'Setback' boosters are a waste of time nowadays unless you're looping the signal to other tvs via a long cable.

Otherwise they probably do more harm than good.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom