Suddenly lost internet connection - Help Please!!

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Hopefully someone can help. My main pc has suddenly lost all connection to my network. Everything was working fine until some time today.

In network and sharing the pc shows as connected at 1gbps to an unidentified network and there is no internet connection.

My switch shows the pc as connected with a 1gbps connection but the pc is getting no access to the network. I have tried: -

1. Restarting.
2. Switching to a different CAT 6 socket.
3. Disabling and re-enabling the network controller.

Everything else on my network is working fine (posting this from a laptop connected via wireless) and there is about 20 other things connected all working well.

At a command prompt ipconfig shows: -

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address - 169.254.154.55
Subnet Mask - 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway - Nothing

I am sure it must be something simple. Any ideas?

169.254.X.Y addresses are what's called APIPA addresses - it's an address the workstation literally "makes up" for itself when it doesn't have a static IP address or can't find a DHCP Server to obtain an IP address automatically.

Usually it's a sign that something it "broken" that prevents the workstation participating in the LAN.

I'd suggest you start by testing with a known good network cable (directly) into a known good port on your switch/router and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks Mick, I turned everything off, switches, routers etc.. and it came back working. Frustrating!

I'd just bear it in mind if it happens again. It can be a simple as dirty connector or a broken cable which some plugging and unplugging "fixes" by effectively cleaning the contacts. If it starts to occur frequently, then of course it merits some further investigation.

Did you reboot or switch the PC on before this happened.

I would see this as more of an issue of the router's DHCP service crashing and not being able to service new clients. Existing clients that have an allocated IP continue to work and access the internet.

In this case the reboot of the router probably cleared it.

Laptops and tablets etc don't necessarily get powered down just sleep and so retain their settings.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom