1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sudden Subwoofer Interference

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jellybean520, Aug 3, 2004.

1. jellybean520

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    For the last 4 or 5 years I've had my Wharfedale Topaz 12" active subwoofer located right behind my TV(not the most recommended position I know, but very tidy in terms of wiring etc.) In the last week or so it decided to stop working or responding to the low frequency signal it receives from the amp. All I did was reach in behind the TV and haul it out with little space to maneuver making it quite awkward (20KG+!). Anyway, I set it up again outside on the floor and to my surprise it worked perfectly fine! Maybe powering it off reset something as I do have it powered on in standby mode all the time. Problem gone, or so I thought!

Anyway, here's my problem, when I put it back in to its original location, the magnet in it is now interfering with the TV picture in a major way causing greenish-purple hues all around the bottom and side edges of the TV screen. This never happened before in all its 5 years of operation. I've not changed any settings whatsoever. Obviously I couldn't put up with this so I've had to move it to the opposite corner of the room and extend power and RCA connections right across the floor which look unsightly as well as the fact that the SW is taking up a big chunk of space in the corner now and the wife is adamant that I put it back behind the TV.

This is the weirdest thing and I just can't figure out why it was fine for 5 years and only now decides to interfere with the TV picture. If you have any suggestions, I'd be keen to hear from you?

2. Crustyloafer

Sep 12, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    For magnetic sheilding on a speaker to function properly requires very careful alignment of the shielding materials inside. Over time these may have loosened and the subsequent moving of the subwoofer from its original position may have disturbed the magnetic shielding alignment. If you take it back to the dealer you bought it from they should be able to send it back to the manufacturer as a chargeable repair, but if it is a budget sub, below £500, it probably isn't worth it.