Sudden luminosity drop on Sony VPL-VW520ES / 4K !

fft

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a problem with my Sony VPL-VW520ES / 4K projector that I installed in 2016, it is no longer under warranty but I would like your opinion.

A few days ago the brightness suddenly dropped and the image became very dark with my second lamp (about 1400 hours of use, eco off), It felt really strange because usually the luminosity is dropping gradually but here, it was really sudden !

So, I ordered a new lamp (280W / LMP-H280) that I tested today, and the phenomenon is the same !

I upgraded the firmware from version 2.301 to 2.303 and reset the settings but it didn't change anything, it seems that the problem comes from the projector and not the lamp !

Do you have a suggestion before switching to support mode, is this phenomenon known to you on this model?

Thanks for your help and suggestions !

Hello,

I have a problem with my Sony VPL-VW520ES / 4K projector that I installed in 2016, it is no longer under warranty but I would like your opinion.

A few days ago the brightness suddenly dropped and the image became very dark with my second lamp (about 1400 hours of use, eco off), It felt really strange because usually the luminosity is dropping gradually but here, it was really sudden !

So, I ordered a new lamp (280W / LMP-H280) that I tested today, and the phenomenon is the same !

I upgraded the firmware from version 2.301 to 2.303 and reset the settings but it didn't change anything, it seems that the problem comes from the projector and not the lamp !

Do you have a suggestion before switching to support mode, is this phenomenon known to you on this model?

Thanks for your help and suggestions !
Check inside the lens (with the lamp off) and see if the iris is stuck closed.
If the projector is off and you can see the iris blades, then it is stuck. It should be fully open with the power off.
A new or known working second hand lens should fix it.

@fft For the benefit of others who may come here with the same issue, did you ever get to the bottom of the problem?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom