Sudden drop of input volume on Denon AVR-X2700H

gadgetluvr

Hello,

I've been running a Sky Q box through my Denon AVR (and Wharfedale DX-2's) successfully for about 3 months without any issues. Yesterday I noticed that the volume level had significantly dropped - I used to be able to comfortably listen at about 30-35, now it needs to be about 50! (even my wife who normally is completely oblivious to anything AV related noticed it).

I can't quite work out what could've caused this but here are two possible triggers - and was wondering if anyone might be able to throw any light on it. First, I updated the firmware on the AVR yesterday after it prompted me to. First time I've done it I think, but surely it would retain the previous settings? (I'd used that automated Audyssey setup right at the beginning). Second, I plugged in an Apple TV 4K and a Sony UBP x700 UHD player for the first time into the AVR yesterday - again that shouldn't cause the volume on the Sky input to reduce? As an aside, the volume on the Apple TV input seems even lower I think, but doing a quick search online it appears this might not be unique to me - but I will investigate that later.

Many thanks in advance.

Jester1066

Hi welcome to the forum!

I've been running a Sky Q box through my Denon AVR (and Wharfedale DX-2's) successfully for about 3 months without any issues. Yesterday I noticed that the volume level had significantly dropped - I used to be able to comfortably listen at about 30-35, now it needs to be about 50! (even my wife who normally is completely oblivious to anything AV related noticed it).

Firstly I'd recommend changing your volume scale from its current absolute setting to the more useful decibel scale. Select:

Settings ➡️ Audio ➡️ Volume

I can't quite work out what could've caused this but here are two possible triggers - and was wondering if anyone might be able to throw any light on it. First, I updated the firmware on the AVR yesterday after it prompted me to. First time I've done it I think, but surely it would retain the previous settings? (I'd used that automated Audyssey setup right at the beginning). Second, I plugged in an Apple TV 4K and a Sony UBP x700 UHD player for the first time into the AVR yesterday - again that shouldn't cause the volume on the Sky input to reduce?
It's quite possible that the firmware update has infact corrupted or altered the settings done during Audessey calibration. I actually had this on my older x2500h. I' had to rerun the calibration (using the mic) to resolve the issue.

Once you've re done Audessey, you can backup these and other settings of the AVR to a USB flash drive (formatted to Fat32 standard). This backup can then be used anytime you need to reload the calibration settings (without needing to use the mic). Here's how to do it:

In the menu go:

Settings ➡️ General ➡️ Save & Load

Hope this helps

gadgetluvr

Firstly I'd recommend changing your volume scale from its current absolute setting to the more useful decibel scale.
Thank you. Could I ask why that is more useful? Isn’t it just a scale at the end of the day and if you know the range it covers then that should suffice ?

It's quite possible that the firmware update has infact corrupted or altered the settings done during Audessey calibration
So you’re suggesting then that normally shouldn’t happen? That was my suspicion too - so I’ll take your suggestion and redo Audyssey.

Thanks again for your help (and welcome)

Jester1066

Thank you. Could I ask why that is more useful? Isn’t it just a scale at the end of the day and if you know the range it covers then that should suffice ?

Whilst you're right that a scale (whether decibel or absolute), is a just a scale.

The absolute scale is simply just a number. With 0 being minimum & 98 maximum volume.

Audessey calibrates speakers so they are at 75dB when seated in your listening position. This is called Reference Level (which on the avr decibel scale post calibration would be 0dB). This will be extremely loud and prolonged listening at or above reference level isn't recommended as it can cause hearing loss etc.

Most people will set their volume at between -10dB to -20dB for comfortable listening (post calibration). This means your 10 or 20dB below reference (calibrated level).

Having the scale set to absolute doesn't accurately tell you how loud (above or below the calibrated level) you're listening. The decibel scale does show this.

So you’re suggesting then that normally shouldn’t happen? That was my suspicion too - so I’ll take your suggestion and redo Audyssey.
Let me know how it goes 👍🏼

gadgetluvr

Whilst you're right that a scale (whether decibel or absolute), is a just a scale.

The absolute scale is simply just a number. With 0 being minimum & 98 maximum volume.

Audessey calibrates speakers so they are at 75dB when seated in your listening position. This is called Reference Level (which on the avr decibel scale post calibration would be 0dB). This will be extremely loud and prolonged listening at or above reference level isn't recommended as it can cause hearing loss etc.

Most people will set their volume at between -10dB to -20dB for comfortable listening (post calibration). This means your 10 or 20dB below reference (calibrated level).

Having the scale set to absolute doesn't accurately tell you how loud (above or below the calibrated level) you're listening. The decibel scale does show this.

Let me know how it goes 👍🏼
That is an excellent explanation, thank you. I will change to the db scale on the back of that! :)

Will definitely let you know how it goes after calibrating again - still having no luck convincing my wife and daugther that they need to be silent while I do that.

Jester1066

That is an excellent explanation, thank you. I will change to the db scale on the back of that! :)

You're welcome. Also by setting to the Decibel Scale, it will give other forum members (and you) an indication if there is indeed a fault with your volume. As if listening at 20dB above reference is quiet, that would suggest either a fault with the AVR or setup/calibration error.

I'm happy to check your speaker levels and other post calibration settings if you want. Just post screen shots, in this thread 😊

Will definitely let you know how it goes after calibrating again - still having no luck convincing my wife and daugther that they need to be silent while I do that.
Send them out for the day. An accurate calibration can only be done if a room with as little ambient/background noise as possible 😊

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom