Sudden doubt about plasma!!!

GarethG

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been saving up for plasma and was looking forward to buying, probably the 507 (poss 427) in the new year.

However, I was in John Lewis when they were showing BBC football and I was disappointed in the picture.

The close ups looked great.

The wider shots showing the movement of the game were blurred -far less defined than my 10 year old 33" CRT I was just about to replace!

Should I stick with my CRT!!!!!!

I will be using DVD but predominately normal freeview TV.

Gareth

I have been saving up for plasma and was looking forward to buying, probably the 507 (poss 427) in the new year.

However, I was in John Lewis when they were showing BBC football and I was disappointed in the picture.

The close ups looked great.

The wider shots showing the movement of the game were blurred -far less defined than my 10 year old 33" CRT I was just about to replace!

Should I stick with my CRT!!!!!!

I will be using DVD but predominately normal freeview TV.

Gareth

As in your previous thread, there will probably be some who will tell you you'll be OK viewing a 50" screen at a distance of 5 feet but, as I advised you there, visit a few showrooms and ask to see some screens demonstrated with SD feeds. Ask to see fast moving subjects such as sport and not only landscapes and close-ups of flowers.

It really is a subjective matter and something you need to make your own mind up about based on the evidence of your own eyes.

David :)

There needs to be a phrase for this common experience. How about the 'Flat-screen wobble'?

Were they showing football from the BBC's hd channel?

If not then to be honest you would expect sd to look blurry on a 42" or 50" plasma compared to a 33" CRT.

If you could get a true measurement 42" CRT sd would probably look a little blurry on that, thats why we need hd as at 42" sd is beginning to run out of the necessary information to look good

Were they showing football from the BBC's hd channel?

If not then to be honest you would expect sd to look blurry on a 42" or 50" plasma compared to a 33" CRT.

If you could get a true measurement 42" CRT sd would probably look a little blurry on that, thats why we need hd as at 42" sd is beginning to run out of the necessary information to look good

I broadly agree but I still maintain that viewing distance is a factor. It simply isn't possible to sit 5 feet away from a 50" screen with a SD feed and get the same sort of view as you would sitting in a hospitality box at a football ground. Sit a few feet further away and the picture becomes more acceptable.

David :)

I am on the borderline of what is considered acceptbale viewing distance with my 42in plasma. I am about 8ft away. I think 9ft would be even better, but at 8ft, most SD pictures (ITV excluded) are pretty damn good on SD (thru either Topfield PVR or Sky HD box). Not watched too much football on it yet, but I found it more than acceptable from BBC. I found ITV to be appalling though, but I don't think you'll find too many people arguing about that point!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom