• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sucks: No 5.1/7.1 from Smart Hub apps?

TimWatts

Novice Member
Hi,

It is true that the Smart Hub unit will not present 5.1/7.1 out the optical link? That seems to be the case in my limited tests.

I have a Yamaha YSP 2500 soundbar linked up via optical from a Samsung 6400 series. Put a second monitor on the Yamaha's HDMI out so I can see it's menu - in particular, I can have it show the audio channel information.

Test 1: House of Cards (US) on Netflix via TV's Smart Hub. This is a 5.1 4K title. Soundbar shows:
Sound: PCM 2/0/--- aka stereo and it sounds like stereo.

Test 2: Same title case to first gen Chromecast stick plugged into soundbar and feeding on to TV. Soundbar shows:
Sound: PCM/3/2/0.1 aka 5.1 and it sounds "surroundy".

I cannot see any settings that affect this in the Netflix app (sound channel is English 5.1) and I cannot find any settings in the TV menus but I might have missed those.

Am I being a dork or does the Smart Hub unit basically suck?[1]

Cheers, Tim

[1] I have always been dubious of built in media devices. So I bought the cheapest Samsung that gave me the size and resolution, the 6400. I do plan on replacing the Chromecast stick with a Roku 4 when they come out in the UK, but I'd like to know if I'm missing a trick with the Smart Hub...

Random Precision

Hi,

It is true that the Smart Hub unit will not present 5.1/7.1 out the optical link? That seems to be the case in my limited tests.

I have a Yamaha YSP 2500 soundbar linked up via optical from a Samsung 6400 series. Put a second monitor on the Yamaha's HDMI out so I can see it's menu - in particular, I can have it show the audio channel information.

Test 1: House of Cards (US) on Netflix via TV's Smart Hub. This is a 5.1 4K title. Soundbar shows:
Sound: PCM 2/0/--- aka stereo and it sounds like stereo.

Test 2: Same title case to first gen Chromecast stick plugged into soundbar and feeding on to TV. Soundbar shows:
Sound: PCM/3/2/0.1 aka 5.1 and it sounds "surroundy".

I cannot see any settings that affect this in the Netflix app (sound channel is English 5.1) and I cannot find any settings in the TV menus but I might have missed those.

Am I being a dork or does the Smart Hub unit basically suck?[1]

Cheers, Tim

[1] I have always been dubious of built in media devices. So I bought the cheapest Samsung that gave me the size and resolution, the 6400. I do plan on replacing the Chromecast stick with a Roku 4 when they come out in the UK, but I'd like to know if I'm missing a trick with the Smart Hub...
Have you gone into sound settings on your tv and set the sound for Dolby Digital?

TimWatts

Novice Member
Hey - you hit the nail on the head.

Main menu/Sound/Additional settings/something mentioning Dolby Digital was off.

I'd been over the menus once but I did not clock that setting - prob because I didn;t quite know what I was looking for!

Thanks man - retested with Netflix in the Smart Hub/House of Cards (US) and the Yamaha is showing 3/2/0.1 Dolby now! And no doubt that it sounds like surround sound!

So not Samsung's fault (except these systems are extremely complicated to get all the settings right - and I'm no technophobe). However, it might help someone else - I saw a lot of threads over other forums moaning about this very issue...

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Random Precision

Hey - you hit the nail on the head.

Main menu/Sound/Additional settings/something mentioning Dolby Digital was off.

I'd been over the menus once but I did not clock that setting - prob because I didn;t quite know what I was looking for!

Thanks man - retested with Netflix in the Smart Hub/House of Cards (US) and the Yamaha is showing 3/2/0.1 Dolby now! And no doubt that it sounds like surround sound!

So not Samsung's fault (except these systems are extremely complicated to get all the settings right - and I'm no technophobe). However, it might help someone else - I saw a lot of threads over other forums moaning about this very issue...

Cheers and Happy New Year!
Pleased I could help, all the best for the new year:)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom