• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Such is life

bodoman

Distinguished Member
About 2 months ago i just starting thinking about a new camera, just a thought mind as my A100 does everything i want it do, but as usual soon as you start thinking these things it not long before you convince yourself that you must have a new one as its got to better, in this case an A700.

So worked out if i squirrel away any spare cash, it will soon be mine, wont come out of my wages though, i am always doing a bit of ducking and diving (legally) and make a few bob by flogging bits and pieces i dont need or use anymore.

Now the bad news, since then all this has happened

First went for 6 month dental check up, needed a filling
Total bill £70.00

Second, could not wait for the NHS any longer for some physio on my neck, went private
Total Bill £50.00

Third, went for an eye test as they free for the over 60,s, cant resist a freebee can i, ended up that my left eye had deteriated a lot since my last test 10 years ago, new glasses need.
Total Bill £300.00.

Lastly, last Saturday one of my few remaining front teeth snapped off just below the gum line,
Emergency dental treament, extraction and new tooth on a dental plate.
Total Bill £200.00

Total unforeseen outgoings - £620.00
Cost of A700 body - £599.00

So all of a sudden my A100 is once again the best thing since sliced bread and have put such foolish thoughts of a new camera out of my £620.00 head:rolleyes:

All part of lifes rich tapestry i guess:laugh:

T0MAT01

Prominent Member
have put such foolish thoughts of a new camera out of my £620.00 head:rolleyes:

:rotfl: Maybe you should be looking at a pillow upgrade instead? ;)

These things happen mate. Just think what a bargain price the A700 will be at by the time you've 'ducked and dived' a bit more...! :smashin:

Tobers

Prominent Member
Aargh! Bummer :(

If its not too late you could save £250 by going to Glasses Direct, putting in your prescription, and get some dead cheap glasses sent over. I use them. No way will I use a high street optician again - what a rip-off.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Bad luck, Barry. These things always happen together don't they.

To avoid expensive opticians costs, I go to Dolland & Attchison. I signed up for their daily disposable contact lens by post scheme - £13 a month. After 3 months I received a box of contact lenses, then simply put my account on hold, explaining that I had more than I needed. Part of the deal is 50% of everything in store - which on my last pair of glasses was £150. As long as I keep my account, but suspended, I get the 50% discount :cool: The contact lenses are useful as well when playing golf in the rain. :rolleyes:

I do all my own dentistry with a bottle of Bells and a swiss army knife. :D

scotty94

Established Member
Gutted for ya, at least you'll be able to snap away happy now without toothache, neck pains and actually be able to see what you are photgraphing..always a plus lol

Garf

Prominent Member
Sorry to hear the bad news Barry.

Tesco are very cheap for glasses these days - the larger stores often have opticians in house now.

Failing that, you should have just bought two 'nifty fiftys', removed the front element and made a pair of specs out of them - much cheaper :D

bodoman

Distinguished Member
I see your all gushing with sympathy:laugh:

Actually i am not unhappy about it, its just one them things, just one of lifes up and down moves also have had some up days, this time last year i got over £600 worth of camera and lens for nothing from by boss, so i am not unhappy at all about it, it all balances out in the end:)

senu

Distinguished Member
Aargh! Bummer :(

If its not too late you could save £250 by going to Glasses Direct, putting in your prescription, and get some dead cheap glasses sent over. I use them. No way will I use a high street optician again - what a rip-off.
Glasses direct will not do an eye examination or write the DVLA on your behalf though
In defence of opticians, ( Im married to an optometrist so bias here)
They do have high overheads in kit and manpower but infact a lot of work they do is relatively cheap,( some even free) Diabetic checks are free and kids too.. remember they are not part of the NHS..which these days is itself limting in handouts

Online stores simply milk off the high street and independents as they never do any of the complex examinations , and fitting

It is only with glasses that they make some money.
It is not just a spectacle dispensing service but also an indispensable Medical one. You wouldn't be caught dead wearing hospital frames...disgusting:mad:
I dont hear you having online dental checks..and they cost the earth
Good glasses cost money. Despite getting almost 35% discount mine cost £450:rolleyes:

Barry Im sure youll bounce back again, Maybe the A700 ( or its succesor) will cost even less in the early new year and this wouls have been a blessing in disguise:hiya:

tomson

Established Member
Just remind yourself that there's more to life than having the latest camera... eyes/teeth/health are far more important.

senu

Distinguished Member
Just remind yourself that there's more to life than having the latest camera... eyes/teeth/health are far more important.
Indeed
Bad back.. no photography
Poor eyesight: you need to see the subject
Teeth: I dont think you want to take photograph with a nagging tooth ache:rolleyes:After all this, you still have the A 100 in your hands.. just suppose youd sold it to fund the purchase of the A 700 in anticipation?
Sleep Happy, man:smashin:

Last edited:

Pirate!!

Banned
Bod dude,

Just in case you can find £500.00 + p&p, there is a UK seller on Dyxum.com who is offering a 1 year old A700 with grip sensor + Dicain and Sony LCD protectors. He's also got glass for sale too. A Monkey is decent price.

As for the A100 . . still got mine as a second body, which will come in real handy for next season's motorsport shots as there won't be any need to swap lenses :eek:)

bodoman

Distinguished Member
Thanks to all for the comments and humour on this thread, as i said i an not downhearted at all about it.

The good news is when the swelling and pain has gone i get a nice new smile
and today got my wage slip and had a £215.00 tax rebate as i swopped by
company car for a smaller diesel one in July, which attracts less tax.

Life is good again, now how much was that A700 again:laugh::laugh::laugh:

SPRINGERS

Established Member
Just to make you feel better I have just had a hip replacement £8995.00 plus £80 for every X-Ray taken! How much kit could that have bought me!:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom