1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Such a thing as totaly smooth pan?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NickBull, Feb 7, 2002.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ever since I got my HTPC and Barco I've been watching normal TV a lot more closely. Last night on a couple of things, infact most things with pans in them, I was noticing a bit of jitter. Enough to convince me that if it was blown up onto a large screen it would be worse than anything I've seen on HTPC.

Does this mean that the TV and digi TV are not the best quality or that whatever we do, there's always goign to be some slight amount of jerkiness in the pans and movement.

I must say that TT player and most DVD's look a lot better pans I see on TV.

Nick

2. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nick

Were you watching US shows by any chance? shows which are originally 24 fps then 3:2'd to 60 and then video converted to 50 tend to exhibit pretty bad judder.

We need to start a petition for all the broadcasters to insist on using an Alchemist when doing standards convertion.

For newer stuff I think they do the convertion properly and do the speed up but for older US shows sometimes the motion is all over the place.

John

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I nticed it on Sex and the City can't remember the others. I though it would be something to do with the pulldown, but not knowing much about it I wasn't certain.

TV in other areas isn't perfect, low bit rates on ITV digital don't really help, and sport lookes odd sometimes.

It just really made me realise that a lot of peroblems on the pj aren't really that major and similar things happen that don't show on TV due to them not being amplified.

I find it reassuring that DVD's on the PJ and sport etc are better in a lot of cases.

Nick

4. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've also noticed it on SITC with a normal TV. You're right that we maybe overplay the problems with the output when the input sometimes has had nightmarishly bad problems introduced due to stupidity somewhere in the chain from camera to screen.

John

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, agreed. I'm going to keep looking at it, see how bad things get.

I havn't watched a DVD on TV for a while, I might hook the player up tonight and try one of two discs I perceive as having a slight problem, just to see if they are simillar on a stand alone player.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is inevitable with any type of picture where the original source is intermittent rather than continuous. Only "real life" is continuous. All other media are ways of simulating real life with a sequence of still images - whether TV, film, or a PC signal.

Just saw LOTR at the cinema. Juddery pans everywhere. Like any other film.

7. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe we are all striving for a utopia that doesn't exist?

I suppose you could argue that nerve impulses from your retina are not entirely smooth, your brain smoths them out and creates a picture. So even reallity may be slightly jerky.

I wonder if peceived judder in films varies from individual to individual?

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82

I really believe that this is the rock we perish on.

Sometimes I think that I would really be enjoying watching movies alot more if I didn't know as much as I do. None of these problems (tearing, judder, edge enhancement, contrast ratio etc.) bother my friends when they come over to watch a movie, they just have a damn good time watching the "Big Screen" at home. That's what it's supposed to be all about, isn't it?

Conor

9. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am almost there with sitting don and enjoying. Watched Rock Star last night with my girlfriend and only noticed judder once or twice, really enjoyed the film though!

I am getting better at it!