Successful HDR Drive upgrade

wellsyke

Standard Member
Reaction score
I successfully replaced the hard disk in my HDR thanks largely to posts in this forum so I'm posting my own findings in the hope that they're useful to someone.

Initially I replaced the 320GB drive with a Samsung HD103UJ (1TB, 7200rpm, 32MB cache). While that worked it got warmer that I was happy with so I changed it for a HD103SI (1TB, 5400rpm, 32MB cache). The HD103SI runs much cooler than the HD103UJ, both are quiet.

Physically changing the disk is very easy and the HDR seems to format and start using it without any difficulty.

Deleting recordings seems much faster with the new disk.

The original disk is much slimmer than normal drives (I suspect it has only one platter) so it may have more airflow over it than the replacement.

The first replacement drive was previously partitioned using a GPT rather than MBR partition table but the HDR didn't seem to care.

The old disk can be put in a USB caddy, attached to the HDR and existing recordings copied over (it is slow (I got 4MB/s) but you can select multiple files to copy in on go [yellow button in file manager IIRC] and the files are copied with their metadata so you can tell when it was recorded and if you've watched it, I can't recall if folders can be copied over or if you have to manually create them on the destination and then copy the files)

A quicker way (I got 80MB/s with both drives connected to motherboard SATA ports) to copy the files, which also allows you to copy over your recording schedule, is to put both drives in a PC running Linux. I used Ubuntu but others should work. You need to put the new drive in the HDR first and let it partition the drive, then take it out and put it in your PC.

Using a PC also allows you to copy over your recording schedule which is stored in a file named reserve.info in it's own partition.
Booting your PC from a “LiveCD” should be enough for this task so you don't need to install Linux or have a 3rd hard disk connected.
To avoid permissions problems in Linux The copies are best done with root permissions. If you prefer using a gui to copy files, I suggest launching the file manager from a terminal with root privilages (“sudo nautilus” in ubuntu).

Hope this is some use, Arthur

Last edited:
Is there a size limit on drives

E.g. would the following work
Samsung HD154UI F2 EcoGreen 1.5TB SATA Internal Hard Drive 32MB Cache

See
Samsung HD154UI F2 EcoGreen 1.5TB SATA Internal Hard Drive 32MB Cache

£79.98

Bob_Cat has confirmed that there is no software reason why drives larger than 1Tb won't work. Power consumption and heat might be a problem. However pvr's use CE (Consumer Electronics) drives which lack the inbuilt data checking of HDD designs designed for PC use. In a pvr the odd faulty bit won't matter but the delayed data read for eror checking and recovery in a pc drive will especially as the drive gets older. So a non CE drive might seem to work fine at first and start ti give problems later. So far I have not seen a posting from anyone who has tried a larger drive than 1Tb. If you buy a esata
drop in cradle and extend the sata connections externally (there is suitable slot under the internal drive caddy mounts) you can simply drop in drives including the original drive and they will have their own power supply and better still it's own usb port which can be used to archive anything including enc HD.

I use one of these

S35DC eSATA & USB2.0 Docking Station 3.5": Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Initially I replaced the 320GB drive with a Samsung HD103UJ (1TB, 7200rpm, 32MB cache). While that worked it got warmer that I was happy with so I changed it for a HD103SI (1TB, 5400rpm, 32MB cache). The HD103SI runs much cooler than the HD103UJ, both are quiet.
Hope this is some use, Arthur

The HD103UI, which might be worth a try, is currently £55 from eBuyer: Samsung HD103UI Eco Green F1 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache - OEM - Ebuyer

The HD103SI is £60: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/164282

Last edited:
I saw the HD103UI offer as well and also wondered if it would work. I'm trying to see if it is a CE drive as discussed above.

This weeks Torchwood in HD has blown most of my free space!!

Yes the wife decided to record torchwood and I am now at 96%.
I got the foxsat to record SciFi films but it seems some how to be full of rubbish like Coranation Puke.
So I must get a bigger drive, or get rid of the wife. Or both perhaps!
What's the difference/benifits of the two drives above.

Yes the wife decided to record torchwood and I am now at 96%.
I got the foxsat to record SciFi films but it seems some how to be full of rubbish like Coranation Puke.
So I must get a bigger drive, or get rid of the wife. Or both perhaps!
What's the difference/benifits of the two drives above.

I have just ordered one of these (it's a pvr design)

Power-conserving WD AV-GP drives offer significant power savings and thermally optimized operation resulting in lower cost of ownership and unsurpassed reliability for PVR/DVR, IPTV boxes and media server manufacturers.

Buy 1TB Western Digital AV-GP 3.5" Hard Disk Drive*WD10EVDS from CCL - Online Retailer of the Year 2008, 2007 & 2006 for laptops, desktops and computer hardware

My existing WD 1Tb is 60% full so I intend to drop in the new drive when I go on holiday. My drive is in a external drop in caddy so I can swap drives in seconds.

Last edited:
I really need to upgrade soon and I will most likely go for the straight internal swap.

Graham, I know it's down to personal preference, but would that disk you mention above be a suitable cost efective option for an internal swap?

Advice greatly aprreciated. Thanks,

I really need to upgrade soon and I will most likely go for the straight internal swap.

Graham, I know it's down to personal preference, but would that disk you mention above be a suitable cost efective option for an internal swap?

I have not got it yet awaiting delivery but The current 1TB WD10 EACS works fine. I will post when I get it and format it but to be sure you really need to use it for some time. The EACS has been in use for 8 months without problems and others have installed it internally without problems. I can't imagine the newer drive which has a similar spec won't work though.

TIP If you don't use the HDD for music or jpegs it's a good idea to reduce the photo/music partition to ot's minimum size of 1 Gb before you start recording onto it.

Last edited:

Managed to get the hard drive mentioned last week from play.com, installed in ten minutes running fine.

Managed to get the hard drive mentioned last week from play.com, installed in ten minutes running fine.

Ian is that a Samsung or Western Digital drive you have installed ? If so which model as there's a few different ones mentioned in this thread ?

Graham

Graham its the 1TB WD10EVDS paid £72.99

Ian thanks for the clarification, It's the Samsung drives that I am not sure will cut the mustard. :confused:

...It's the Samsung drives that I am not sure will cut the mustard. :confused:

The samsung HD103SI is working fine here so far but I'll post here if I get any porblems.

The HD103UI mentioned is a previous generation with slightly more power, noise and weight. eg read/write HD103UI=6.2W, HD103SI=5.6W

I installed a Seagate 1.5 tb drive, no luck, it says it's creating a partition but hours later nothing had happened.

I replaced it with a 1 tb drive and 5 minutes later it's up and running.

Both same manufacturer.

I installed a Samsung 103SA 1TB in an Akasa external Esata caddy. It works well but I'm dissapointed to find that the disk spins when the unit is in standby, and has not been used for several hours. Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if a WD10 EVCS or AV-GP might be better, as they appear to have power saving features.

It's nothing to do with the model or make but the way the HDR works continually needing to check the hard drive is functioning and ready to operate. It is possible to power it via a relay picking up the switching within the motherboard when the unit is switched on for instance via the remote.

I have not got it yet awaiting delivery but The current 1TB WD10 EACS works fine. I will post when I get it and format it but to be sure you really need to use it for some time. The EACS has been in use for 8 months without problems and others have installed it internally without problems. I can't imagine the newer drive which has a similar spec won't work though.

TIP If you don't use the HDD for music or jpegs it's a good idea to reduce the photo/music partition to ot's minimum size of 1 Gb before you start recording onto it.

Arrived and formatted no problems.

I installed a Samsung 103SA 1TB in an Akasa external Esata caddy. It works well but I'm dissapointed to find that the disk spins when the unit is in standby, and has not been used for several hours. Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if a WD10 EVCS or AV-GP might be better, as they appear to have power saving features.

I use a homebuilt relay switch powered from the foxsat 12V drive supply to turn the external drive on and off but I would not recommend this to anyone not familiar with soldering or mains voltages. Not tried this but can't imagine it would not work. Try using one of the power saving gadgets used for computers that turns off the other equipment when the main computer is turned off. Provided the 0.75W consumption of the hdr in sby is below the gadget switching threshold, then by plugging the drive into this the foxsat should turn on the drive when it wakes from sby.

Chose one at random

http://www.ecoelectricals.co.uk/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=449&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

This needs 5W to switch so should work fine.

Last edited:
I use a homebuilt relay switch powered from the foxsat 12V drive supply to turn the external drive on and off but I would not recommend this to anyone not familiar with soldering or mains voltages. Not tried this but can't imagine it would not work. Try using one of the power saving gadgets used for computers that turns off the other equipment when the main computer is turned off. Provided the 0.75W consumption of the hdr in sby is below the gadget switching threshold, then by plugging the drive into this the foxsat should turn on the drive when it wakes from sby.

Chose one at random

Ecoelectricals - Product: 7 Gang Auto Switch-Off Energy Saving Extension Socket - OUT OF STOCK!!!

This needs 5W to switch so should work fine.

Great idea Graham, but does the Foxsat not need the drive to be continuously powered, so that it can do its overnight updates of EPG, thumbnails etc in standby ?

After installing the Esata drive, I was not expecting the unit to access it when in standby, apart from these occasional overnight updates. However, when I get up in the morning and check it at around 8am, it is often hot to the touch and vibrating, as if the disk is spinning and has been for some time overnight. Do you find this, with your own external drive ?

Great idea Graham, but does the Foxsat not need the drive to be continuously powered, so that it can do its overnight updates of EPG, thumbnails etc in standby ?

After installing the Esata drive, I was not expecting the unit to access it when in standby, apart from these occasional overnight updates. However, when I get up in the morning and check it at around 8am, it is often hot to the touch and vibrating, as if the disk is spinning and has been for some time overnight. Do you find this, with your own external drive ?

Whenever the foxsat wakes this should increase the power consumption from the 0.75W sby power sufficiently to power up the drive. In my case the drive is turned on by the internal 12v line so as far as the foxsat is concerned it's still powering the drive. I guess the reason yours is warm is because it's continously powered. In theory as soon as the stb powers up the drive 12V power supply it's power consumption will exceed 5W and therefore power up the drive, essentially the same effect as my relay switching.

If you haven't already you could try using a utility (eg hdparm in linux) to set the drive's Automatic Acoustic Management (AAM) and/or Advanced Power Management (APM) modes to quiet and lowpower. I think samsung have dropped APM from newer drives but they still have AAM settings.

Arthur

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom